Chapter 77

November 2015
**YOUR POV**
Harry was nervous, really nervous, I could clearly see it as they started prepping him for surgery the next morning. His eyes gave it all away and I obviously couldn't blame him. It was a big surgery, a scary one, so I tried to be as calm as I could and stayed by his side until it was time for them to take him away and that meant saying goodbye.

The doctors and nurses left us alone for a minute so we could have some privacy while doing so.

I leaned over him as he still laid flat in bed and cupped both his cheeks with my hands. „Listen to me. You'll be in and out of there without any problems. You're gonna be okay, love. I'm waiting here and I'll be right with you when you're out, okay? Your mum is still on her flight but she should be here soon." I told him, stroking his cheek with my thumb lightly.

„Okay, thank you." He smiled a little.

„I love you so very much, Harry. See you in a few hours." I pressed my lips on his, our kiss lasting a few seconds longer than usual to properly say goodbye.

„Love you more, Y/n. See you in a bit." He said when I let go of him and the nurses came back in to roll his bed out of the door towards the operation room.

„Fuck." I cursed to myself when he was gone, my heart beating fast as I made my way to the waiting area where I was told to go and wait.

*

I was told the surgery would only take four hours.

It's been five hours now and I was going insane as I paced up and down the lobby, asking myself why it was taking them so long. I couldn't keep calm, scared that something went wrong. My heart was beating fast in my chest and my hands were shaking as all kind of thoughts ran through my head.

„Y/n?"

I looked up quickly, thinking it was a nurse, but got approached by a concerned Anne.

„Anne oh god, you're finally here." We fell into each others arms, hugging tight.

„I got here as quick as possible, darling." She pressed a kiss on my cheek.

„You came alone?" I wondered when we let go.

„I did, yeah. Gemma can't leave work so soon again and the same goes with Robin."

„Well why didn't you call? I could have come and picked you up from the airport." I rubbed her arm, still holding on to her.

„Oh silly, there's no need for that." She shook her head, placing her purse on one of the empty chairs. „How is he? Did you hear anything?"

I let myself fall down in another chair, burying my face in my hands. „I'm honestly about to lose it, Anne. They told me he would be out by 12, but now it's 1 and I still didn't get any news. I don't know what to think, I'm going insane here."

She sat down next to me. „Take a deep breath, love. I'm sure he's okay and there's nothing to worry about. We've got to be patient." She grabbed my hand, giving me a warm feeling.

„You should have seen him this morning. He was so scared and nervous, it hurt my heart so much. He couldn't form any sentences without stuttering and he was in so much pain...so much fucking pain. I have never seen him like this and I pray to god to never see him feel like this ever again, because it's so, so hard."

„I'm sorry, love. I'm sorry you were all alone here, but I'm here now. You're not alone anymore, dear." She squeezed my hand reassuringly. „Was he able to calm down at least a little bit before they went in?"

„Yeah, I asked them to give him some sedative, so they did and that calmed him down a bit, but when they went through the whole procedure with him, I felt him getting more nervous again." I told her.

„Oh god, my baby. I just wanna see him again." She sighed and this time I gave her hand a squeeze.

I was still panicking on the inside, not knowing why the hell it took them so long until finally the doctor stepped out half an hour later, letting me breathe of relief.

„The procedure took longer than we initially planned, but the reason for that was just that we had to be extremely careful by prepping him for the surgery since he's got a lot of broken ribs and we needed to make sure not to shift them and may puncture his lungs. Other than that, the surgery went perfectly well and we can definitely expect Harry to make a full recovery."

„Oh thank god, thank you so much. When can we see him?" Anne asked, being just as relieved as I was when doctor Russell told us the news.

„He is in recovery right now, but we'll move him to the ICU in about an hour and then you can see him." He explained. „Today is gonna be a day of rest for him. He'll be very tired and in a lot of pain, but he'll get the manual medication pump again, so he can regulate the intake of Morphine himself. He's got drainage tubes in the incision sites, so we need to make sure he doesn't move around. Tomorrow will also be a more relaxed day for him, we're just gonna do some blood tests to see if everything is the way as it should be. In the next few days, a physical therapist will be here to help him with sitting up, standing and possibly walking, but we'll discuss everything further when we get there."

We both listened carefully to what he said. „But he's okay?" I asked eventually.

„He is." He smiled a little. „He's starting to come off the anesthetic and he has already asked for you."

Tears pooled in my eyes when he told me that. Harry was already thinking about seeing me after such an intense surgery and that made my heart warm.

„Nurse Megan will come and get you as soon as Harry's settled. If you have any further questions, just ask for me." He told us with a smile and then walked away.

I couldn't help myself but break down in tears, Anne embracing me in a tight hug, tears falling down her cheeks as well.

„He's okay." I sniffled into the crook of her neck.

„He is. He's okay." She repeated, rubbing my back soothingly.

„Fuck, I'm so relieved." I wiped my tears away, letting go of Anne.

„God, me too." She let out a deep breath.

Throughout the hour waiting, Anne informed all the family members while I informed the boys about Harry's current condition and took the time to relax and calm down a bit, knowing he was okay and everything went well until finally nurse Megan came walking towards us with a smile on her face before she guided us towards Harry's room in the ICU.

„Just press the button if you need anything." The nurse smiled.

„Thank you." Anne and I both said before she left.