Bakerix: Part 2

The two men smile and hand over their caps. "Say hi to Rolland for us, we'll collect our caps next time we come by," They leave, and we walk up to the door, Flaake soon pops her head out as she asks "You sure it's a good idea to be sneaking in and lying about who you are?"

"Well it's not exactly a lie, after all, we are actually delivering the flour and what really matters is that he comes to dad's birthday party, and they both make up," We enter, and just like the outside of the house, the inside screamed old-fashioned as the designs were old and you could see old machines and old photos everywhere. "Put the sack down in the usual place," We suddenly hear and turn to see Mr. Dupain in the kitchen. He was an old short man with a blue pin-striped shirt, blue shorts, and blue loafers.

A mouse runs between our legs, and we step to the side to stay out of the creature's way, I ask, "Where's the usual place?" Rolland quickly spins around and gives us both a shocked look through his black rectangular glasses. "You're not the usual guys!" "No, we're...Interns." "But aren't you two a bit young to be delivering flour?" "Maybe but we were doing so well that they decided to give us hands-on experience," I answer and he narrows his eyes at us before turning back to his dough. "It's good to work hard, you can put the sacks down now, have a nice day," He looks toward some of the mice on the counter and asks for salt. A mouse pushes the salt container to him.

He trained his mice to help him bake? That's pretty cool. "So you're a baker then?" Mari asks and Rolland shoots back his own question. "Are you flour delivery girl or are you a nosy detective? Put the flour down and be on your way," Instead we both start looking around when Marinette points at the oven. "That oven...it's a '72 La Pegnole, right? A rare wood-fired model, only a few hundred of them were made!"

Rolland turns around once again and gives Mari a shocked look. "How did you know that?" "My da- bread history teacher taught me that." "That's new, you need bread history classes to become a flour delivery person now?" He asks in disbelief. No, probably not. I snicker to myself quietly as Mari tells him you need like ten years to be a delivery person these days.

"Good luck with your internship, now put the flour down and have a good day," He turns back to his dough. Looking around more I notice the old tv with what looked to be an old computer on top of it. "Is this a computer? It looks weird, did you build it yourself?" I ask and this time I received a shocked look. "A computer in my house? Are you insane?! That's a tv!" (Yes, just yes) "Really? Does it still work?" I press the turn-on button but nothing happens. "Nope. Turned it on one day and stopped working." "Probably doesn't meet cable standards any more thanks to everything being on the internet."

Rolland scoffs. "The internet. The internet is just as crazy as cordless telephones. That's not how it's done! How can sound with pictures go through if there aren't any wires?" Mari's the one to answer as she pulls out her phone. "Simple. They're sent in waveform to relay antennas, which are connected to satellites. It's awesome! You can talk, and see anyone you want, anywhere in the world."

"I don't need to speak to anyone and besides that's not how it's done if you want to talk to someone! Now put the flour down and leave me alone, I've got work to do!" Marinette starts looking over his photos while I put my flour sack down, my arms were getting tired of holding it. I walk over just as Mari grabbed a photo that was laying down to show it was a photo of Tom and Sabine's wedding day. "Do you live alone? Don't you talk to your family?" Rolland rushes over and swipes the photo away from Marinette, putting it back on the table, face down. "You two really are nosey detectives. Don't touch a thing and put the flour down and leave."

He starts pushing us toward the door when Mari sees the bread dough and shoves the sack into Rolland's hands and starts kneading the dough. "Don't touch that, you don't know how it's-" "Don't worry, I know how it's done. You take the dough and fold it in half rhythmically. Pressing it flat...Snapping it slightly," Rolland and Mari say that last part in unison and Marinette smiles as she explains further. 

"It gives it elasticity and develops the gluten in the dough so that it holds together well after it's been baked," Rolland once again scoffs and crosses his arms. "You're just a schoolgirl reciting a lesson, you don't really know how it's done," I smirk knowing that he had just presented Mari with a challenge and I was happy I had pulled out my phone and started recording, her family would love to see these two getting along.

"I do know my stuff. Maybe even better than you old man." "Better than me? Better than me?! Charlotte, Marie-Louise, Marguerite- I..Do you hear that? Better than me?!" Roland stammers a bit before laughing. "We'll see about that. Miss. we are going to make some bread together and then we'll see whose the baker is and who's only good for delivering flour!" Mari smirks at him and the two get to work when Rolland holds up a container. "See this yeast? It's been grown by my family for over 2,000 years ever since my indomitable ancestor, Loafamix the Gaul. We used to make bread in a small Armorican village, which fell alongside Vercingétorix. To be precise, he was my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-" He stops to scratch his head in thought before continuing on while counting on his fingers. It was his 26th great-grandfather.

"Then the Romans won and started putting vegetables and chees on the bread and now it's pizza! Bleh!" "I like pizza," Mari says and I chime in. "Yeah it's great/ it's not my favorite but it's still a liked dish." "You like pizza?! And you! You've eaten it?! But that's not how it's done! You don't put cheese and tomatoes on bread dough! It's just like with my son and his wife. They think that adding rice to the dough would make the inside of the bread lighter! That's not how it's done!"

So he went no contact with his son because he wanted to experiment with the bread recipe? Wow, he really was old-fashioned. Bet if he tried it he'd like it though, even I had to say it was good. "But what if it's really yummy? Have you ever tried your son's bread," Rolland shakes his head furiously. "No need, I already know it's not going to be good. Making bread with rice flour. That's. Not. How. It's. Done!"

"Well I think it's creative," He stammers out a how before going back to his bread. I continue to record the two making bread when I notice Mari eyeing the rice but glancing nervously at Roland. She wanted to add the rice so I step between the two, pausing my recording and I ask "Is this recipe your own, or is it a family one?" He starts telling me how it was his 26th great-grandfather's recipe and how it hasn't been changed since, giving Marinette the cover she needed to add rice to her dough.

"So your son's a baker then?" Marinette suddenly breaks the silence. "I don't have a son anymore not since he betrayed me." "Just because he put rice in the bread dough?" "That's. Not. How. It's. Done!" "If my bread comes out tasting as good as yours will you agree to do just one thing for me?" "Why? What do you want me to do?" "Are you a baker or a nosey detective?" "Ha! Your bread won't be as good as mine anyway," The two exchange, shaking hands for their deal.

They get to work and again Marinette soon sings her dad's kneading dough song, earning Rolland's attention. "That song...It's mine and my son's kneading dough song...There's no way you could know that song unless you're- No, that's impossible..." Marinette flinches, guess she forgot he didn't know she was his granddaughter so she takes off the cap and introduces herself.

"You're my granddaughter? Liar! I don't have a granddaughter! I've been betrayed again! It's just like adding new ingredients to bread, it's deceptive and not how it's done!" He starts yelling and shoves us out of the kitchen demanding we leave. "No! I'm not leaving until you've tasted my bread, you promised you would." "Fine, you want to stay here? Stay here then!" He slams the kitchen doors closed and I glare at the doors when I see Mari's heartbroken face and I yell through the doors "Like it or not Marinette is your granddaughter who just wanted to meet and get to know you. Not only that but today is your son's birthday and he would really love to see you again!"

Roland starts shouting the la la la song to block me out and I roll my eyes, how childish. I turn to Marinette to see what she wanted to do. "Like I said I'm not leaving till he tries my bread," That's when we notice how quiet it was in the kitchen. Concerned Mari knocks on the door calling out for him. "Grandpa?" The door busts down and we go rolling soon looking up to see Roland had been akumatized he now looked like a giant Viking made out of bread.

"There is no grandpa. I am Bakerix and anybody who doesn't do things the way they should be done will be served my indomitable wrath! Soon, Paris will look like it did before the modern world took over!" He drinks something out of his yeast container and grows bigger before busting out of his house. Mari quickly runs into the kitchen and turns off the oven before we transform and chase after Bakerix.