1. A Genuine Smile

Half a year after the incident at the Guanyin Temple,

Everything seemed to have gone back to its original state, well mostly everything.

The Lanling Jin clan has lost its name. Sect leader Jiang helps Jinling with his sect work and takes care of Yunmeng Jiang clan.

Wei Wuxian is staying with Lan Wangji in Gusu, taking care of his son and making grandmaster Lan cough blood at least once every hour. Sect leader Lan entered into seclusion but after a lot of comforting (by his brother and his wife- I mean husband) and blood vomiting (by his uncle), he agreed to take care of the sect's paper work.

Meanwhile in Yunmeng Jiang clan,

Jiang cheng has been trying to ignore his mental condition by drowning himself in sect duties, so much that even his disciples have become concerned about his mental health. The only time he gets off work is when Jinling drags him out of his study room.

Jinling has been changing with the influence of his other uncle who is the complete opposite of his jiujiu. He and his three friends have been going to night hunts almost everyday, mostly just to chit-chat and have fun. And to make sure they don't get hurt, the ghost general always follows them in the dark which has improved the relationship between Jinling and Wen Ning.

Just like always the four friends decided to go night hunting but this time they chose to hunt near Qishan Wen mainly because Jinling called Jingy a wimp and he said "Even the ghosts near the burial mounds would be scared of me, who are you calling a wimp!" Jinling of course wouldn't take his bullshit, "Fine, we will go there and see if you pee your pants or not!"

Currently they are near the foot of the mountain with a shivering Jingyi latched onto Zizhen and a mocking Jinling standing between Jingyi and Shizui.

Jingyi "Maybe we should go back, I don't think there are any fierce corpse here."

Jinling rolled his eyes and gave Jingyi a look saying "yeah! Then why are you clinging onto Zizhen like a scared pussy" Jingyi immediately let go of Zizhen and stood straight locking eyes with Jinling to start a staring contest while failing to notice the slight frown on Zizhen's face.

Jingling "your legs are still shaking!"

Jingyi "I'll shake whatever I want, mind your own f**king business" Jingyi proudly turned and started walking forward till his forehead hit a tree and he fell back on Jinling causing Shizui who was slightly behind Jinling to fall with him.

Jiang cheng who was following them as always sighed which caught the attention of Wei Wuxian who was following the kids for the same reason as him.

When Jiang cheng looked at the forest straight ahead, he saw a fierce corpse getting ready to attack Zizhen who was the only one standing towards it. As he was about to unleash zidian, the corpse was suddenly pulled back and disappeared leaving behind a silhouette of a man which is none other than the Ghost general. He sighed again but this time it was of relief.

Jiang cheng, 'Did they really have to come to such a dangerous place, I could have just sent my right-hand man if it was anywhere else.' He turned around only to be met with an awkward Wei wuxian who was fidgeting with his chenqing and trying his best to look at Jiang cheng in his eyes.

Jiang cheng knew that the reason wei wuxian was feeling awkward was mainly because of his death glare of a gaze.

Jiang Cheng's POV

As I kept looking(glaring) at him I noticed a slight movement in the background, so I unsheathed Sandu and in the blink of an eye I dashed towards him. He ducked in fear as my sword went straight into the thing which I later identified as a fierce corpse. When I turned around, my right feet hit a stone and I was about to fall on my face but somehow, I balanced myself and fell on my butt instead which is probably the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to me.

I heard a light chuckle and looked up to glare at that bastard, but I saw a hand stretched towards me, urging me to hold onto it. As I looked at the owner of that hand I just wanted to cry, I mean it's been more than sixteen years since I saw a genuine smile directed towards me.

I stretched my right hand to hold onto him after which he pulled me up.

Wei Wuxian, "Aiya chengcheng, you should have at least warned me about it."

Jiang cheng, "Don't call me that!" oh no, It came out a little bit harsher than what I intended. Is he going to go? I opened my mouth to apologize, but he just came closer and placed his other hand (still holding hands) on my shoulder, "If I don't call you chengcheng, then who will?"

I just shook my head and looked around searching for a stone-faced Lan but to my surprise he was not there, at least anywhere near Wei Wuxian. Wei Wuxian must have noticed that, "I only came with Wen Ning this time" Now that's unexpected. I stopped myself from making a surprised face and glared at him for seeing right through me "Who asked you?"

He just shrugged his shoulders, "Nobody, just felt like it." I looked away and then realized the reason I even came to this place and again realized that those damn brats were gone. I immediately withdrew my hand from his hold and ran to the place where I last saw them.

Wei Wuxian, "Chengcheng wait for me!"

We followed the footprints which led us to a grassy field. I placed my hands on my hip and took a deep breath, Zidian started to sparkle. I mean, they really had to come here. Now even their footprints are gone, no one will know where they went. What if they got eaten by a monster. How will I answer shijie and that peacock. I felt a hand tap on my shoulder and before I knew it, my sword was already pointing at Wei Wuxian who put his hand up. I sighed and sheathed my sword. I forgot he was here, and I almost killed him, again!

Color left my face as it turned pale, but it might not be visible under the moonlight. I should keep my distance, what if I did not stop myself, what if he wasn't able to dodge it, will I be left alone again?

Wei Wuxian, "My bad, I guess I scared you" "No it-"

Wei Wuxian, "I think they went that side; we should go check" I nodded my head in agreement and we both started walking, hoping that we find them.

As we were walking, I felt like I hit something with my feet, so I bent down to pick it up. "It's an... egg?"

Weiwuxian, "huh?" I looked up at him and saw a monster getting ready to attack him from behind, "Wei Wuxian, behind you!" I unsheathed my sword and jumped towards it with zidian wrapped around Sandu making it sparkle.

The monster looked similar to a dragon in the body shape and scales. However, its head looked like a snake, and it had a dark shade of yellow stone in between its scarlet eyes.

My sword went right through its neck and black substance splurted out all over me, good thing I covered my eyes with my hand.

Wei wuxian started playing his flute as I landed on the ground getting ready for another attack. Black smoke surrounded him and flowed towards the monster and climbed up till it reached the yellow stone and jabbed into it. I jumped again but this time aiming for its left eye. As I stabbed it, its tail whipped into the ground and black smoke started to cover the ground. The broken yellow stone shattered and red blood started oozing out.

I took this as my que to stab the bleeding region. Wei wuxian started playing something stronger cause the once black smoke tuned red and the monster's other eye turned black. I jumped really high and slashed right through it. With my sword and Wei wuxian's music, its body turned into burnt paper, which is really weird.

Never in my life have I met or read about such a weird monster. A fragment of the yellow stone fell at a distance from me, so I walked towards it and picked it up. I really hope I could find some information with this.

I turned around to ask him about it and when I saw a sharp yellow shard fly towards him, I ran and stood in front of him ignoring what he was saying, something like "I already sent a message to-." Zidian wrapped around him in a protective manner, and I closed my eyes, I already lost him once and I am not ready to lose him again.