76. Worthy

Previously...

An awkward silence filled the evening sky. Jiang cheng's chest heaved in and out as he let out his anger that was stored inside all along.

Third Person POV

Wei wuxian felt his demonic energy surge through his veins. He was angry at himself and at others. "I was helping the weak, you had a core, you had strong people, but they only had me. They were innocent of crimes so, why should they suffer. They... they even gave up their life for me..."

Wei wuxian hoped that Jiang cheng would understand but he was wrong. 

"Then what about my people who were left barn on the roads with nobody to help them. Their sons and daughters were killed, their husbands and wives were burned. They did not have a him and you talk like you are the only one who tried to help people. Would it have been so hard for you to help me?"

Wei wuxian's eyes brimmed with tears as he let out his anger, "I promised, I promised to help them, help the weak and stand by their side, keep them safe."

Jiang cheng's fist tightened. "Then what about our promise? you promised to stay by my side. Be my right-hand man. You said we would lead Yunmeng together. What about that? Was that a lie? was that not a promise?"

Wei wuxian finally let out his tears, "I accept it, I have failed you but it's all in the past. You only remind me of the dark past! This is why I always avoided you, you bring my nightmares just with your presence. Why can't you forget about it? "

Jiang cheng took a breath in. His fist loosened as he looked down, taking in all the words.

"Fine, have it your way then. I'll forget about it, about you and your core that you lied to me about. The core you forced into me. Now scram. I don't let strangers inside my Pier."

Wei wuxian, "This is why I never wanted to tell you about your core. Because I knew you'd react like this!!"

Jiang cheng remained silent. His eyes were stuck to his feet. He only blinked once but tears continuously rolled down his brocade face.

"...F-fine... take it back or don't, I'm not going to use it either way."

Wei wuxian, "Stop being so childish!! Just accept what you're given!" Wei wuxian's hands darkened as the demonic energy gathered at his palms, reacting to his dark emotions.

Lan wangji held his shoulders, "Wei ying, your demonic energy..."

Jiang cheng remained silent making the second Jade mad. "Sect leader Jiang, Wei ying only meant good when he gave you his core and fell into the demonic arts even. Why don't you recognize his efforts?"

Jiang cheng chuckled at his words. He found it pathetic. The jade who never spared him a word now spoke sentences only to blame him.

Jiang cheng felt something heavier roll down his face. He softly mumbled, "What about mine? what about my sacrifice? Am I not worthy enough to save him instead. Am I not worthy enough to be told the truth?"

His words dissolved into thin air as Lan wangji was busy taking care of his husband.

Jiang cheng turned around and left with a heavy injury. But he wasn't able to feel the pain as his heart pained even more. Can a mere injury hurt as much as the one inside?

Jiang cheng tripped on his way but Lan xichen held him up. Jiang cheng did not look up, he continued on his way, leaving trails of blood.

Lan xichen cupped his face and lifted it up, only then seeing the red tears roll down the other's face.

Hui zhong led the couple to a room as Wei wuxian who was initially weak felt even weaker after using his demonic energy. "I shouldn't have gone after him, everything went well until we came together."

Lan wangji, "Wei ying, you need rest."

Jiang cheng laid in the Land warm arms as while he wiped the blood and transferred chi at the same time.

Soon Jiang cheng fell into a deep slumber, exhausted.

"Wanyin, I love you... please don't leave me."

"I should go visit soon, he might get worried."

The next day,

Jiang cheng opened his eyes to the loud noise outside his room. He quickly wore his outer robes and checked himself in the mirror before going out. His body felt sore and every step he took made his head hurt. But he steadily walked out towards the noise. With each step he could hear more clearly. 

When he took the final turn, he could see his nephew arguing with his right-hand man. He watched them argue over something he couldn't understand. So, he cleared his throat and spoke with a loud voice, "What going on here?"

The entire place suddenly fell into a deathly silence as everyone turned towards him. Jinling ran to him as soon as he saw his uncle and unexpectedly hugged his waist tightly. (cuz he was too short.)

Jiang cheng was taken back first but he patted his head softly, his eyes softening at the act. The maids and servants who saw it quietly awed at the sight which did not go out of Jiang cheng's sight. His hand ruffled his hair and slowly went to caress his cheeks before firmly gripping his ear and twisting it, startling everyone. 

"Why are you making a scene early in the morning? Is this how a sect leader acts, arguing with other?"

Jinling cried in pain as he begged his uncle for forgiveness. "Jiujiu, I just wanted to see you, but he did not let me. You should twist his ears not mine." He plead.

Jiang cheng finally let him off and looked at Hui zhong who feared his ear getting twisted as well.

Jiang cheng rubbed the red ear of his nephew and sighed. Right then a sweet voice peeked from behind him. "How are you feeling Wanyin?"

 Jiang cheng froze in place. His brain cried in embarassment. After expressing his thoughts, Jiang cheng felt too tired to mind his behaviour so, he leaned on the Lan and allowed himself to be at peace. But after coming to his right sense, he found himself wanting to kill that demon with his two hands.

If it wasn't for the demon, playing with his head and making him feel pathetic, his plan would've processed perfectly. Now that he realizes all the stupid thoughts he had, he just wanted to dig a grave and disappear form this world.