78. Soaked

Previously...

The man continued, "We also found various scrolls regarding it and according to our investigation, that monster was sent out to kill you alone. It was master Wei who interrupted their plan."

Third Person POV

Jiang cheng sighed, he was glad he guessed it right. He rubbed his temples and closed his eyes for a second. Not even two seconds past, but they could hear a loud bark and the sound of splashing water.

Jiang cheng narrowed his eyes and went out with Jinling following right behind him. When he reached the lake, he could see the servants circling around it. Seeing him, they quickly made way as he walked past them.

His eyes lightly widened as he saw the Lan headband float in the water. He quickly rushed forward but a fur ball pushed him back and started to lick his face. 

Jiang cheng patted its head and covered the mouth with his other hand, trying his best to sit up. Jinling quickly called for fairy who did not even bother to glance at him. Jinling walked closer and lifted it up, carrying it away while scolding it.

Jiang cheng sighed, "That dog..." He walked over to the lake and tried to look for the Lan. Jiang cheng kneel on the pavement as his eyes wandered aimlessly, trying to get even just a glimpse of the Lan. His heartbeat slowly increased as he panicked.

He stretched his right hand as far as possible, trying to grab the white ribbon. The moment Jiang cheng grabbed it a pale hand, held his wrist tightly. Jiang cheng gasped, startled. Before he could react, the Lan emerged out of the water. 

Lan xichen raised the hand of the culprit who tried to touch his ribbon above his shoulders. Lan xichen wiped his wet eyes and looked at the culprit. His eyes widened as he looked at the culprit sitting on his knees with a hand in between his legs. 

Jiang cheng looked so small compared to the Lan who was completely soaked. Water dripped from his eyes and the sharp tip of his nose. His clothes clung to his skin giving a broad idea of what's beneath all the layers. 

Jiang cheng noticed that the Lan clutched onto a tassel. He could vaguely remember it, but he wasn't sure. His eyes slowly traveled up the arm. He unconsciously held his breath as he saw the outline of the muscled arm.

 Jiang cheng looked away embarrassed and tried to stand up but the hand which was above the Lan's shoulders made him lose his balance as he fell forward. Jiang cheng's eyes reflected the blue water as he fell into the lake but before his skin could come in contact with the crystal-like water, a thick arm wrapped itself around the narrow waist of the Jiang.

Jiang cheng was pulled up into the warm embrace of the Lan. Jiang cheng's knees laid limp on the stone pavement while his upper body was tightly wrapped inside the white robe. Jiang cheng hissed in pain as his knee slightly scrapped against the rough stone. Lan xichen quickly hooked a hand behind his knees and lifted him up. Jiang cheng was speechless. A sect leader completely soaked, stood in the lake while carrying another sect leader right above the water. 

Jiang cheng's face turned bright red in embarrassment. He could hear the whispers and mumbles of the maids and disciples. He couldn't lift his head, but he had to save his face. 

Jiang cheng suddenly gasped as the Lan tightened his hold and walked towards a stone. He placed the other on the stone and climbed out of the lake. Jiang cheng looked at the man as he rose up from the water creating small splashed around him. 

Jiang cheng was stuck in a daze as his fist tightened. Soon Hui zhong came to the loud scene and sent off all the onlookers.

The Lan took a look at the tassel in his hold and placed it inside his pocket and looked down at the Jiang. He extended a hand and softly smiled. Jiang cheng held it and the next moment he was pulled up. The Lan bent towards his tightened fist and kissed it. When Jiang cheng loosened his fist, Xichen took the ribbon from his hold and tied it around the Jiang's pale wrist. 

"Wanyin, if you wanted it, you just have to ask. I will never refuse you."

Jiang cheng couldn't move, he was stuck in place by the warm gaze. He slowly processed all the words that flew to his ear. His eyes slowly widened, and his mouth slightly opened. His lips moved, trying to form sentences but he couldn't. 

Lan Xichen smiled and bowed, "May sect leader Jiang excuse me while I change clothes." The Lan walked away into the pavilion while Jiang cheng's brain slowly descended on earth.

Jiang cheng ran after the Lan, trying to correct the misunderstanding. He was not like Wei wuxian. He knew the meaning behind the ribbon.

He finally caught up to the Lan who was just about to open his room door. "Wait!" His voice echoed through the corridor. Lan xichen closed the door and turned towards him. Jiang cheng held the wall as he struggled to breath.

Lan xichen held his shoulders and directed him to breathe slowly.

Jiang cheng finally looked at the Lan and started, "Sect leader Lan, I did not mean to take your ribbon I was just afraid you might have drowned and I just wanted to find you I did not mean to touch your ribbon without your permission I'm really sorry for causing such a misunderstanding I'm really sorry I really did not mean to, I mean, I just wanted to help you and it's also my fault for letting fairy runaround freely I don't know what exactly happened but my deepest apologies for causing you such discomfort-"

Lan xichen patted his shoulders gently, "Wanyin, I do not blame you. And I know you meant nothing bad. Breathe. Calm down. I am not in any discomfort."

"But-"

"Then how about you let me check your knee. If I'm not wrong, you must've scrapped your knee against the stone. I even saw a light trace of blood on it. We should treat it soon."

Jiang cheng was not able to reply as he was dragged into the room by the Lan's sweet words.