53. Stares

Previously...

Wei wuxian was very close to opening the door when Lan xichen blocked him. "We are simply invading their privacy. How about we ask Sect leader Nie directly?" The other two thought for a while before nodding.

Third Person POV

Jiang cheng clung onto the door, ready to stop it from opening. When he heard the Lan's words he relaxed and let go of the door. "Wei wuxian, you are truly the most shameless per-"

Before he could finish his words, the door was forced open, but the Jiang quickly reacted and pushed it shut. 

"Apologies Zewu-jun, but this person seems very suspicious. Chenqing is reacting odd."

Jiang cheng's eyes widened. Is it because of the immortal bound to him. He slowly turned his head and saw the demon sitting on the bed.

"Need help."

Jiang cheng wanted to beat up the demon but he was afraid those outside would barge in. Unable to do anything, he just glared at the other waiting for them to leave.

After a long while, he heard doors closing and receding footsteps. He completely relaxed and slightly opened the door to check. After making sure the coast was clear he closed the door and relaxed.

He soon tensed up and looked at the bed, where the demon was sitting. But he was nowhere to be seen.

   Everyone gathered together at the Grand Hall which was now mostly red with a little bit of gold. At the front corners sat famous musicians with their instruments playing. The atmosphere was bright and ebullient. From the greatest sects to the oldest sects sat in the huge Hall. The food served was even better than the morning. The ingredients used were all expensive and rare spices, meat, herbs, etc.

All the sect leaders sat curious about the banquet.  When the invitation was sent, it did not mention any reason. Nie Huisang sat in the middle as before, conversing with all the sect leaders. 

"Sect leader Nie, I wonder which great occasion brings such a grand banquet for us."

Everyone agreed and repeated the question until Nie Huisang held his fan with both hands. He stood up and smiled. A loud, steady voice rang throughout the Hall. Bold and clear.

"I have invited all of you here to announce my marriage."

The Hall was quite for a decent amount of time before the sect leaders applauded and congratulated him. Many looked around the hall and asked Nie Huisang about his fiancé. But the other did not answer them.

The feast started and the sound of chopsticks filled the air. The lively moment came to an abrupt stop when a sect leader asked Lan xichen about his marriage. Lan Xichen simply smiled and remained silent.

Wei wuxian on the other hand giggled, covering his mouth. After the drunk Lan returned from Yunmeng, he kept teasing the other about the lady who made him run to her.  But the Lan did not tell him, it was he and not she. Wei wuxian did not suspect it to be a man either. To him, Lan xichen did not look gay.

Lan xichen was occupied by the sect leaders offering their daughters. Seeing the Lan struggle, Nie Huisang coughed a little to get their attention, but no one bothered. Before he could use his words, a very bold sect leader turned towards Jiang cheng who sat alone. 

Every other sect brought at least 3 to 4 people with them, but he was the only one who sat alone. Even his nephew was not beside him.

"Sect leader Jiang, are you planning on-"

He swallowed his words when the said sect leader looked at him. His eyes were sharp, and his lips were downturned. His eyebrows met and a purple glint flashed in his eyes. The sect leader's hand trembled as he felt shivers go down his spine. His lips quivered and shut close. 

The once lively atmosphere turned silent. No one dared to make a sound instead they chose to glare at the brave man who ruined it.

But after a while the bright atmosphere returned and the marriage topic was avoided. No one questioned the Jiang other than those who were familiar with him. 

Jiang cheng felt someone staring at him but every time he looked, they seemed to avert their attention. He was used to being stared at, mostly glared at for his attitude. But he was already tired. 

He tried his best to ignore those eyes, but they only seemed to deepen. In a swift moment he turned his eyes and saw grey eyes looking at him. He was first surprised. The man who avoided him was staring at him for what? He rolled his eyes and looked straight at the Lan who smiled at him. But there was also another Lan who glared at him.

Jiang cheng just wanted to leave the place. He turned to the side to discuss business with the other sect leaders, but as soon as he turned his head, grey eyes stared at him again. He decided to confront the other about it and chase him around like he used to when he heard a voice in his head, 'Forget it, it's all in the past now.'

The feast came to an end, and everyone returned to their rooms. Jiang cheng walked to his room, conversing with sect leader Ouyang. Jiang cheng parted with the other and continued on his way when he saw three people blocking his way.

In front of him stood the creep who stared at him and on his either side stood his betraying nephew and the stone face. He looked at the guilty face of his nephew and understood the reason. 

The four of them stood in silence but Jiang cheng did not have time to deal with him. It was not him who avoided talking to the other, Wei wuxian was the one who'd always distance himself. But now that the other chose to talk to him, why would Jiang cheng cooperate. He looked at the other for a while. Just as Wei wuxian opened his mouth, Jiang cheng walked past him, knocking shoulders with the Lan who was still glaring at him.

As he passed them, he mumbled, "Fucking bitch." Lan Wangji's hand immediately grabbed the hilt of his sword while Wei wuxian tried to hold his back. Jinling wanted to go with him but he knew he'd only be kicked out.

Jiang cheng wasn't mad at any of them, just at himself. He always wanted to talk to the other, fix their relationship but he was not ready to accept the other. 

Everything has changed, maybe for the better. Therefore, he as well chose to change his attitude to the worst. He'd rather be alone than to be treated different from his memories.