17. Friend

Previously...

Jiang cheng who was hiding behind a wall, was cursing the older jade for being so stubborn, "Why in the world would he wait for me, so stubborn!!" He folded his arms and glared into nothing, "Oh why Wanyin, am I not welcome here?"

Third Person POV

Jiang cheng turned his head towards the voice, only to stare into a daze. The Lan had his hands in the back leaning forward to hold a close eye contact with a wide grin on his face. After receiving no reply, he waved his hand in front of the Jiang's face.

Jiang cheng, "You! You... what are you doing here?" After a minute of no reply, Jiang cheng took a step back and started walking inside with the Lan following him. They entered the Main Hall where Jiang cheng finally turned around to face the older. "So, why did you come here?"

Lan Xichen walked past him and took a seat, jiang cheng sighed before sitting opposite to him. "So?" Lan xichen simply smile, "Wanyin, should you be so cruel. I'm very hurt." Jiang cheng sighed again before trying to smile, but the corners of his lips twitched in annoyance. "So, my dear friend, what compelled you to come visit me?"

Lan xichen, "Nothing did, I wanted to come visit my friend. But before that, I wanted to apologize. Wangji acted on impulse and did something wrong, I apologize in his stead. Do forgive him." Suddenly the room's atmosphere became tense.

Jiang cheng, "There is no need for that, I was never mad at him, nor do I blame him. He did do the right thing." Lan xichen looked at him for a while, "I also came here to know the truth on what happened." Jiang cheng's muscles tightened making his knuckles white, "The truth is already out, I tried to stab him." His once tight muscles loosened.

Lan xichen, "Wanyin, I know that is not the truth. Something would have definitely happened. If you really wanted to kill him, you wouldn't have failed." The jade looked at the lotus, hoping to hear the truth. But he was only met with silence.

Jiang cheng, "The truth is out, there is nothing to add or take back. Now then, you must be very tired, it's past your bedtime after all." The jade sighed and nodded, "I agree, you must be very tired. Sleep well." They bowed lightly before Lan xichen exited the hall. Outside stood Hui zhong who guided the Lan to his room.

Jiang Cheng's POV

What's the point of knowing the truth when it's just going to fall behind as the shadow of what's shown. I went to the study room and took out some scrolls and started to do my work. Work is all I do. That is the only thing I am good at. The only thing no one could take away from me.

After working till dawn, sleep finally engulfed me I wonder how many swords will pierce me this time. The darkness I saw when my eyelids closed is now filled with a bright sunny day in lotus Pier. I stood in front of me. My eyes look dead, my face is so pale. I took a step forward, but the other me started crying. I feel sad, like as if I'm the one crying. No, why would I cry. That's not what a sect leader should do. 

My feet took off, leaping forward to embrace the crying boy. I closed my eyes, awaiting a body but all I felt was water. I opened my eyes to see myself underwater. That boy... was it my reflection? I tried to swim up but hands grabbed my feet pulling me down. The breath I was trying to hold broke through my mouth. Water entered my nose, burning its way in.

I slowly closed my eyes, though I didn't want to, but I couldn't help it. Those hands now embraced me, warmth is what I felt until I felt a sting on my shoulder. I tried to wriggle out of that grasp, but it only ended in me feeling more stings. I turned to look at the source of the stings but suddenly calmness flooded through my body. Someone... someone was biting into my flesh. I could see my blood mix in with the water, but one bite turned to many when others surrounded me. Taking a bite. I felt my consciousness draining away as more flesh was torn.

I opened my eyes to come in contact with the scrolls. I closed my eyes again but this time they opened because of a voice, so sweet.

Jiang Yanli, "A-cheng, wake up. You need to. It's getting late." I slowly lifted my hands, hoping it's not an illusion, and it wasn't. She smiled before pinching my cheeks, only to disappear.

I opened my eyes and sat up straight. Another illusion. The door opened and the head maid came in. "Sect leader Jiang, I heard you haven't eaten anything. I made you a simple breakfast. Please eat it."

Jiang cheng, "I'm not hungry." 

Jing yan, "But, you haven't eaten anything since-" "Don't bother, I need to go to work."

Jing yan, "Sect leader Jiang, I did not follow you to give you my burdens, but to bear it with you. As a simple maid servant, I might not be of much help but please, if there is something wrong, you don't need to hide it. As our sect leader, your problems are ours as well. When I was left alone in this world, you took me in, and I will always be grateful for that. So please..."

I stood up and offered her my handkerchief, which she accepted and wiped her tears with. "My apologies, I just... I'm sorry for ruining your mood in the morning." I took a step back and bowed, "No, I should apologize for bringing up such a topic."

Jing Yan, "Sect leader, you're too kind. I know you are just worried. I will take my leave then." She bowed and left, crying. "I seem to only bring pain." I walked to my room, getting ready for the day.

I exited the room and walked through the corridors where the disciples were training. Two of them were playing around, just like we did. But it's just me now. As I was about to walk away, a white robe blocked my path. I would have thought it was my heaven's blessing if 'I' wasn't me. 

Lan xichen, "Wanyin, good morning." I bowed and greeted him. "Have you eaten? let's eat together." I did not move, but he held my hand and pulled me towards the dining room. He pushed me down to sit which I followed. He then sat in front of me, and the food was being served. I did not want to eat but with him staring at me like that, do I even have a choice.

We ate in silence, and every time we made eye contact, he would smile. How nice, if only I could be happy as well. Once we finished eating, the maids took the plates away leaving the both of us alone. 

Lan xichen, "I heard you celebrate Commencing spring festival a little late here. Since we didn't get to enjoy it there, how about we enjoy it here."

Jiang cheng, "But it's not as special as it was over there. But... if that's what you want then I guess you can go."

Lan xichen, "Today is the last day, let's go together. Call it compensation for making me wait here for 2 days."