42. Wine in the House

Previously...

It is the same liquid that snake like monster had. He knew it very well, after all it was splattered all over him. Jiang cheng, "You sent that monster?" The demon chuckled. "I told you; I am the immortal Qi Guan. After being defeated by dirty tricks, I turned into this. An immortal demon. Did you forget Jiang Lian."

Third Person POV

Jiang cheng, "Is that supposed to be that woman." The demon had a amused face, "You remember?" Jiang cheng did not speak any further. After having the conclusion of his biggest question, he did not need any more answers. It was not because he knew all the answers but because he didn't trust the demon. It might even be lying now.

Qi Guan, "You still doubt me... Should I show you something else. Maybe the past? or the future." The Jiang continued on with his sect duties. When they said you should have your enemy close to you, they weren't lying.

With the Zidian around him, he shouldn't be able to use any of his malicious tricks. 

The day broke and the night ended. Hui zhong left to Gusu early in the morning, leaving behind the file of talismans. Jiang cheng did not move an inch. He kept working all night. Even the demon got tired of it and tried all sorts of tricks, but nothing worked. 

Jinling knocked on his uncle's door every two seconds, hoping in any one of them, the other would go to sleep. After the moon rose high up, he was unable to stay awake and fell asleep after returning back unsuccessfully for the 53rd time.

In Gusu Lan, Cloud Recess,

The Yunmeng disciple arrived at Gusu before afternoon. The disciples had class and the place was almost empty. But the sect leader expected his arrival. Therefore, the Yunmeng disciple did not have to wait for long.

Lan Xichen busied himself in the library, going through every book regardless of its title. After Finishing half the room, he was about to take another book but was interrupted. "Greetings brother." Lan xichen faced him and smiled, "Wangji, what's wrong?"

That one sentence made Lan wangji's face more stonic than before. Should he only visit his brother when something was wrong. Lan xichen become worried as his brother's face gloomed more. "Is there something troubling you?"

The Lans stood in silence. Lan wangji's face slightly became softer, though in ither's eyes would still look stonic. "Brother, would you... like to have some tea?" Lan xichen being surprised was an understatement. He became even more worried. His brother was always straightforward. Unnecessary words were never shared, always short and simple. Lan xichen was nevertheless delighted.

Thus, the two sat in the Jingshi courtyard, sipping tea and enjoying the beautiful scenery. With the start of spring, the flowers were starting to bloom, and all the trees were deep green.

The two sat in silence, sipping their tea. Lan xichen was quite comfortable since the two never shared many words at times like this. But the other was having an internal turmoil. He wanted to say a few sweet endearing words to his brother and interrogate him about his relationship with the Jiang.

If the older jade saw his brother, he would be able to figure out his motive, but he was preoccupied thinking about the scenery in Yunmeng Jiang. The thought of the fully bloomed lotuses gave him tranquility. Just when his thoughts diverted to Jiang cheng, his brother coughed a little, averting his attention. "What's wrong? Are you alright?" The other stared at him with determination.

Lan wangji, "... How are you doing brother?" The question caught the other off guard. But he smiled. "Don't worry about me, I'm doing just fine." Though it meant nothing offensive, the younger took it that way. Lan wangji, "Am I not to worry for my brother?"

Lan xichen, "Of course you can. I simply did not want to worry you. You have helped me a lot during my seclusion." Lan wangji stood up, "I will bring more tea." and left. Xichen sat there dumbfound. 

The Lan returned with a small porcelain jar in his hands. After brewing some more tea, he poured it into the two cups. The new tea had a very strong scent to it. The entire atmosphere was covered in the sweet yet spicy smell it carried. It did not smell of any known leaves or of any herbs. Lan xichen's smile widened, he never knew his brother was interested in tea. "I wonder what flavor this is." Saying so, he lifted his porcelain cup and slowly sipped the hot aromatic tea. The flavor was quite familiar, yet he couldn't get his hands on it. Unlike the smell, it was quite bitter. He felt his throat slightly burn with hits of sorghum.

Wangji also took a sip, but he caught on. Immediately dropping his cup, he told his brother to not drink it. Lan xichen after taking a long sip, placed his cup down and looked at his brother. "What's wrong wangji? Is there something bothering you?" The other remained silent. He turned pale like a dead corpse. "Brother... this ... is alcohol."

But sadly, he was too late. His brother's head slowly dropped on the table. Maybe it's because he only took a tiny sip, he did not feel drowsy. His hands shook. He was physically unable to bear the fact that he had fooled his brother to drink alcohol in Cloud Recess in the day light.

He stood next to his brother, slightly tapping his shoulders. "Brother..." He shook him lightly for the second time, but the other only mumbled incomprehensive words. On the third shake, his brother sat up straight. "Didi!!" Lan wangji took a few steps back. Lan xichen was about to stand up but he noticed his half-drunk 'tea'. He took a look at his brother who looked down. 

After coming to a weird conclusion, he drank his tea in one gulp and showed it to Lan wangji. "Didi don't be sad. The is delicious, I finished it even." Lan wangji was stupefied. He stood frozen worrying his Gege.

Lan xichen then looked at the other's cup. "Didi I'm very sorry. I shouldn't have drunk alone."  He took the other cup and offered it to his brother. "Here, have some."

Lan wangji did not move an inch. The other pouted. "Didi, don't be mad. Your Gege will buy you candied fruit." Lan wangji shook his head. He was very wrong about what he said before. He started to slowly feel drowsy. Eventually, he fell on his brother's shoulder.