77. Eggs

Previously...

If it wasn't for the demon, playing with his head and making him feel pathetic, his plan would've processed perfectly. Now that he realizes all the stupid thoughts he had, he just wanted to dig a grave and disappear form this world.

Third Person POV

Jiang cheng turned around, keeping his cool. His face was slowly turning red in embarrassment, but he tried his best to stay calm.

"Yes, I'm fine. Thank you for your concern." He responded as if he was a puppet, but Zewu-jun did not mind it. All the servants started murmuring, looking at the Sect leader of Gusu Lan, but when Jiang cheng looked at them, they quickly dispersed. 

Lan Xichen was quite surprised at the presence of the servants. He gave a confused look to Jiang to which he sighed and replied, "They returned today, don't bother with it." Jiang cheng did not want to explain the entire story of his plan and how it was ruined so he walked into the pavilion leaving behind a dumbfound Jinling and a curious Xichen.

Jiang cheng sat in the center of the room with Jinling and Xichen on his either side. But what he forgot was the shameless couple who were still resting. Just as he took the first sip of his porridge, he immediately choked at the arrival of Wei wuxian who was carried by Lan Wangji.

Right then, he again went through a series of self-cringing as the previous night memories flashed through his head. He was ready to kill himself with the chopsticks by his side, but he refrained from embarrassing himself even further.

While Jiang cheng was choking, Jinling and Xichen immediately offered him a cup of water but Jiang cheng was too busy thinking that he took a sip from his own cup. The two immediately looked disappointed and lowered their heads like rejected puppies and continued eating.

Jiang cheng took another sip from his bowl and he felt an intense gaze on him. When he raised his head, he could see Wei wuxian smiling at him like a creep. Jiang cheng did not know how to respond. Who even smiles after arguing with someone.  

He turned a blind eye to his weird behavior and continued eating. The first problem Jiang cheng faced was to face the others. 

Jiang cheng uncomfortably ate his food while answering Jinling's questions and ignoring the weird gaze of the red robed man.

After breakfast, Jiang cheng persuaded the Lans to go back to their sect. He stood at the entrance to see them take off. The couple were the first to leave and the easiest to send off since one wrong look at the second Jade was enough to make him mad.

But sadly, Lan xichen chose to stay with Jiang cheng till he is sure that the Jiang had recovered. Jiang cheng sat in his study with the Jin and the Lan in front of him. He managed to force Jinling to study a political book and threatened to throw the Lan out if he were to interrupt him. 

Jiang cheng peacefully completed his piled-up paperwork and started to read more about curses and arrays when a loud hurried knock interrupted him.

He loudly said 'come in' which woke up the sleeping Jinling. Hui zhong immediately rushed in with a haggard breath. "Sect leader Jiang..." Hui zhong looked at the Lan and stopped his sentence immediately. He was not sure if he should tell the presence of the Lan about their sect problems. 

Lan Xichen noticed it and stood up, "Then I'll take a stroll around the Lotus Lake." Jiang cheng nodded and Jinling's sleepy eyes sparkled. He could feel the essence of a problem which means he gets to take part in it.

Hui zhong continued once the door closed and he heard the receding footsteps. "Sect leader, the disciples we had sent a few weeks ago returned."

Jiang cheng's face lit up, he was so worried if something might go wrong. "Did they find anything?"

Hui zhong sighed, "Yes sect leader, they found a room full of dead corpse. I suppose it is to feed the monster."

Jiang cheng took the file which the disciple gave him and went through it. "Did they find any monsters there?" 

Hui zhong nodded, "They did not find any grown ones, but a lot of demonic eggs were found."

Jiang cheng's eyes narrowed as his brows met, "We should be prepared to attack. " Hui zhong nodded. 

Hui zhong hesitated but he mumbled, "Sect leader Jiang... actually..."

Jiang cheng looked up from the file, "What is it?" Hui zhong hesitated still but continued, "One of those demon eggs were brought here..." Jiang cheng's eyes widened, "What?"

Jinling did not understand a thing, what egg, why does one need to eat demonic egg instead of a normal one? His thoughts circled around his head as he looked at the two of them.

Jinling, "Jiujiu, why do you want to eat a demonic egg?" His question cracked up the disciple while it cracked the vein of his uncle.

Jiang cheng, "Shut up!"

Jiang cheng took a deep breath in, calming down slowly. "Where is it?" Hui zhong looked towards the door and a tall man popped in. his tall stature and black clothes hinted him as a spy. His face was not visible, a black headband covered his forehead while a purple mask covered the rest of his face. 

He held a black box which had a unique lock in it. Jiang cheng's face lightened up at his presence. "You're finally back."

Jinling immediately noticed him and stood up, "You! You're the one who always followed me on my night hunt!"

The man smiled, though it was not visible through the mask, "Greetings sect leader Jiang." He saluted and turned towards the young master, "And young master Jin."

Jiang cheng noticed the box and looked at him, "Don't tell me..."

The man placed the box down, "It is exactly how it is."

Jinling couldn't understand but before he could speak the man continued, "That demon who tried to harm them was indeed sent from the South, but it did not spawn from there and I'm afraid it was not meant to attack the young master or the people."

Jinling finally understood everything, his pupil constricted in realization. Though he had never seen the monster fight, its dead body was itself scary enough. He could still remember the chills he got when he eyed it. 

The man continued, "We also found various scrolls regarding it and according to our investigation, that monster was sent out to kill you alone. It was master Wei who interrupted their scheme."