86. Money and Marriage

Previously...

I went inside and looked at the letter. A small gasp left my lips as I looked at the sign, Lan Xichen.

Jiang Cheng's POV,

I felt a weird feeling in my stomach. Just seeing his name is enough. I quickly stuffed the letter in between some old documents and I sat down to continue my work.

Time passed quickly and before I knew it I was already being dragged to the dinning hall by Jinling.
I'm surprised he stayed here this long.
I sighed and sat down. I've probably already sighed more than a few thousands times today.

I stayed quite and waited for Jinling to start his speech on brotherhood and self care. But fortunately I heard nothing. I turned my head to find him deep in thoughts.

*cough cough*

It was all it took for him to jump on his seat. So ill mannered. What do they even teach there.

"Umm... Jiujiu... I was wondering if.. you could... maybe allow Wei wuxian to join us for the Lotus festival." His eyes were sparkling like glitter with with his youthful innocence spread across his face. Shijie was just like this too. Her calm and tender face, her sweet voice and wise judgement. Sadly that peacock chose to give his personality to him and now he's a wretched brat like him.

I sighed again and turned away. "Do what you want." It's not like I'll be coming to the festival, so there's no need for him to not enjoy the day with his beloved uncle.

Soon a few maids walled in with trays and placed it in front of us. The moment the lod was opened I felt a sudden wave of nausea hit me. I immediately stood up and walked out.

Third Person POV

Jinling lowered his head as he picked up the chopsticks and started to eat the hot meat which felt cold in his mouth. He was tired of eating alone. For the past week, he has been trying to help his uncle recover but it seems as though he was only being a hinderence.

He dropped his chopsticks and left the hall too.

Days passed and Jiang cheng did not leave his room. His food would be served in his room and he felt more at ease now that he was alone, or so he thought.

Words started to spread that the Sect leader of Yunmeng Jiang has entered seclusion but no one could confirm it.

Jiang cheng sat in his room sweaty buckets. His body started to act weirdly. His body temperature would suddenly increase and then suddenly decrease, he could start sweating buckets and then become as dry as hay.

He signed a few papers as his right hand man wiped the sweat off his face. Another weird symptom he faced was moodiness.

"Sect leader, the cultivation conference is nearing, should we-"

"Shut up! Don't you dare mention that nightmare. I don't even want to think about looking at that ugly stone face and his useless husband."

Hui zhong tried to control his laugh as he wiped his forehead. He finally sighed in relief after seeing his Sect leader come back to his usual self.

Hui zhong took a rack of scrolls and left the room. Jiang cheng stared into a distance, finding himself jobless and useless. Now that he finished all the work that had to be done, he wished there was some more left. Talk about a workaholic.

With determination in his mind he promtly stood up and made his way to the cupboards and dresses himself presentable.

He walked out the door like a thief. He covered himself with a black hooded cloak and sneaked out. He walked past several disciples who did not bother much with his presence mainly because of his attire. One, he let his hair down and no one had ever seen him like that and two, his robes were white and almost everyone knows he hates the blue white gusu combo.

He exited the Pier's gates silently and made his way into the town. He only had one goal in mind, it was to find out what people think about him and his clan. He walked through the busy streets wearing robes which was very much similar to a Lan's.

He sat on a wooden bench and looked at different people and their lifestyles while eating some street food.

His ears were open to all the gossips going around but he did not get anything interesting other than marriage and money.

He sighed and looked around the busy streets.

"Hey, didn't you say you found a pretty maiden? Did she reject you or something?"

"No... I did not even get to ask for it to end...but we really had sparks everytime our eyes met. I know for sure but..."

"Don't be sad, just go tell her how you feel."

"I can't anymore. I should've told her sooner but now her parents have already forced her into an arrangement."

Jiang cheng rolled his eyes and took a sip of water and tried out a different food.

"She had pretty blue eyes and her grumpy personality just makes it even cuter. Where will I ever find someone like her ever again? I'm gonna become a monk for sure."

Jiang cheng scoffed at the statement and just then he heard someone sigh next to him. He took a small glance and his eyes widened.

His lips trembled as he whispered 'Xichen?' He quickly turned his head away and got up. He swiftly walked past the Lan who was wearing a similar attire like in Caiyi town. He quickly took out his money pouch and took a few bundles and slammed it on the table catching everyone's attention. He turned around and walked away fast while stuffing the pouch back into his robes.

Suddenly, his hands were grabbed and before he could react, he was dragged away.