59. Cave

Previously...

"I know you won't let me, but I need to know what's harming you. Jinling told me everything. We might not be close, even in the past but... can I at least help you?" Jiang cheng's face was twisted, "Do you not remember anything from the past?"

Third Person POV

Wei wuxian nodded his head, trying his best to be favored by the other's pity. But somehow it only seemed to make the other mad. Wei wuxian was about to change his words but Jiang cheng already walked past him.

Jiang cheng looked around the area for some sticks and stone. He did not want to waste his time with the older and focused on finding the way out.

After finding a tall thick stick, he made a circle around the other and dragged it with him to the path he thought was right, often dropping a few stones in large gaps.

After reaching nowhere, he returned through the same path. If the sand is blown by the wind, he'd use the stones to justify his path. 

After walking for a long time, he reached back to their original spot, and he placed a large stone on the line. 

He looked up to see the older, but he was nowhere to be found. He rechecked with the circle, and it was just like the one he drew. He walked around looking for the older, often calling his name. 

After shouting till his throat is dry, he sat down to rest for a while. If only he had some signals to call the others. "Doesn't he have Gusu Lan signals?" 

Jiang cheng sighed, he did not know what to do. He was at loss. Just as he was about to try something with a talisman, he heard a loud jump behind him. 

He turned around and saw a man with black long hair, standing showing his back. The hair was rough and dirty, and the robes said nothing but old and stinky.

He was about to unsheathe his sword, since the person looked like a fierce corpse, but the person turned around. The eyes were completely black, and his hair flew in the dusty wind. His pale old face was cracked in a few places.

"Wen Ning?"

The man did not talk but nod affirmatively. Jiang cheng was about to ask more but a loud and cheerful voice sliced through the silence. 

"Aiya Ghost general, I called you there but you're here- Jiang cheng, you're back."

Wei wuxian's tongue felt bitter as he said the name.

Jiang cheng ignored his words and stayed quiet. He was sure the two of them would try to do something to him. 

After seeing Wei wuxian, the general ran towards the other and nodded receiving a soft pat and some praises.

 Jiang cheng wanted to leave but he was awkwardly stuck with two people. He was extremely mad at the other who chased him until they're stuck together.

He turned around and left before the two noticed his absence. He'd rather die than spend a second more with them, now that the other had joined them.  

Jiang cheng kept walking until he reached somewhere. Soon the blue sky covered the land and darkened the visions. Jiang cheng fortunately found a cave in a short distance. He ran forward, hoping to rest as soon as possible. 

The wind pushed him as he pierced through it. His clothes fluttered up in the air and his bun became loose. He finally stopped and took in deep breaths, panting and gasping for air. His hair fell to the sides and his hands were on his knee and the cave wall.

He leaned against the cave and slowly slid to the ground. He was confused on why he made such a stupid decision. Those two could easily contact the Lans and Huisang would've helped them out of here, but he chose to be an idiot and run from them. He sighed deeply and closed his eyes, calming him down.

Suddenly a loud panting sound came from his side, and he immediately turned around and saw a man in white robes almost dying.

"Lan Xichen? what are you doing here?"

The Lan finally noticed his presence and smiled brightly, illuminating the night.

"Wanyin, I finally found you. My brother and I came to look for the two of you."

Jiang cheng stood up and brought the other over to sit down. His face was red from all the running and his fast heartbeat could be heard by just staying next to him.

The two sat downside by side silently. The night was young, but old memories swayed in their minds. Their relationship was blurred, and no one chose to ask about it.

Jiang cheng, "... Do you know how to get back?"

"..."

Jiang cheng looked to the side after receiving no response. The Lan was in deep slumber with his body straight. It looked like he was meditating but the Jiang knew better.

He walked around the cave, collecting stones and dried branches. 

When he returned, the Lan was nowhere to be found. 

He placed them down and looked around the dark cave. He lit up a talisman and burned a wooden branch. He walked into the cave with the yellow light, looking for traces of the other.

The path was narrow and steep. The more he walked, the more was the sound of water. After a few steps, the pathways expanded into a beautiful scenery. A large waterfall between the wall rushed down and formed a stream. The water went for an endless distance that an eye couldn't see.

He placed the wood against the depression in a rock and walked forward. He couldn't see everything, but a golden light shined through the darkness. 

Before he could take a closer look, he felt someone else's presence and turned around swiftly with his elbow ready to hit their jaw. It was pure reflexes, but it was caught against the long white fingers, and he was turned around, hitting a hard chest.

"Your reflexes are always very sharp Wanyin."

The Lan dropped his hands and took the torch and his hand. "We should leave soon, I already contacted my brother."

The two walked back up, hand in hand. 

When they reach up, three new people stood waiting for them.

Seeing the two, Wei wuxian smiled happily. Lan  wangji was about to talk to his brother, until he saw the two holding hands. His once pleasant face turned dark. He was not happy with the Jiang and definitely not happy their relationship.

The five walked out of the deathly land, with the two sect leaders in the front, and the couple followed by the Wen.

Jiang cheng was walking beside the Lan when his head started to spin. He heard strange voices and his hands trembled. Lan xichen held his hands tightly when he felt the other acting weird. 

Jiang cheng was about to free his hands when drops of blood fell onto the ground. He lifted his hand and touch below his nose when he felt wet liquid. He lifted his head and looked at the Lan with widened eyes which were soon reflected in the other's eyes.