58. Land of Death

Previously...

Jiang cheng did not reply, he wasn't sure what the other's motive was. "Brother Jiang, no need to be so stiff, I only wish to go back to how we were. Our friendship that rusted with time, I only wish to retain it."

Third Person POV 

Jiang cheng did not respond, he did not know who to trust and who to not. But seeing that he had a chance to clear his doubts, he decided to ask, "Did you, do it?"

The place suddenly became extremely silent. Nie Huisang's eyes were wide open.

"How... what do you mean?"

Seeing the other play dumb, Jiang cheng's interest only decreased. He could force anyone with his purple whip but the other might take revenge for that. So, he dropped the question and turned around to leave.

"I did it but how did you know? Did Wei Gongzhi tell you?"

"So, he knows as well."

The conversation came to an end as the Jiang walked out of the garden. He was satisfied, knowing the truth. Then it means all those investigations were true as well. As long as he could get it, there should be no problem.

He left the Unclean realm and went into the busy town. He entered into one of the shops he saw in his previous visit. It looked decent with a strong smell of incents. The shopkeeper looked at him and judged his background before putting on a fake smile. 

Jiang cheng looked around the place, at the variety of herbs presented before him, completely ignoring the man's words.

The herbs were all expensive and rare items that is not easy to get a hold of. And they were directing presented after shipping. The burnt imprints of the South were clear against the bright wood. The box wasn't changed after receiving it.

But the important questions were how these goods got transported perfectly fine when his goods had a problem. The shipping from the south was received at the same point by both the clans.

Jiang cheng made a small purchase which was mostly just tea and some discreet special herbs. 

Just as he was about to leave, the open doors welcomed a pristine white robe, swaying in the air. Jiang cheng cussed at his fate and tried his best to avoid them, but what could he do? The space was small, and their robes gave out all the needed information.

Jiang cheng urged the shopkeeper to take the money fast and hurriedly left with his package, hoping the others wouldn't notice him through their indulging conversation.

But blame his bad luck, a man in dark black robes soon ran after him, telling him to stop. But Jiang cheng did not. They walked around town with one calling the other and the other ignoring him.

Soon the annoying voice disappeared and Jiang cheng sighed in relief. He slowed down and took a look at the bought package when two hands caught his shoulders. They were near an alley with not many people around them, so he felt it was a good place to make the other fly away. 

Jiang cheng pushed the hands away and glared at the man who had a cheeky wide smile on his face. But after a while, the smile dropped down in awkwardness. Wei wuxian's pants came to slow stop just like his gleaming eyes. 

Jiang cheng almost felt a little pity but before he could act on it, a tight contraction near his chest made him shut up. It felt like falling on a floor full of sharp and pointy nails. He wanted to gasp for air, but he also did not want to lose face in front of the other.

He tightened his fist and walked away. But to his dismay, the other kept following him without a word. He wanted to shout 'scram!' but he couldn't. If he'd open his mouth, he was afraid he'd let out a cry. 

After a while of aimlessly walking, just so the adamant man would leave, he ended up in a dry place. The air was thick and hot and all that the eyes could see was the yellow rock. Trees were in few, and water was not in sight. The more he walked, the harder it became, both because of his body and the thick air.

He slowly took a clear look around and realized he walked into the biggest puzzle in the world, the Land of Death. This place is known to kill people. Though no one is inside to kill them. One who goes in cannot come out neither can they return. It can be considered as the strongest protection mechanism.

Jiang cheng closed his eyes and hoped that the way back would be clear. But when he turned around, he couldn't say if he did. Everything was same, from the sun to all the rocks present. Any side he takes, it looks the same.

Wei wuxian finally opened his mouth after looking at the other's horrified face. 

"Is there something wrong?"

Jiang cheng's first instinct was to throw his broken bones down the rocky cliff. But he was not stable enough, so he continued ignoring him. 

"Now that you have stopped, can we talk now?" 

Jiang cheng's second instinct was to shout until the other fainted, but his lips quivered even when closed, he was not ready to sacrifice his image.

Wei wuxian being the optimist that he is, took it as a yes and took a step forward. But each step resulted giving the same distance as the other took a contradicting step back.

In the end, he gave up and stopped walking. 

"I know you won't let me, but I need to know what's harming you. Jinling told me everything. We might not be close, even in the past but... can I at least help you?" Jiang cheng's face was twisted, "Do you not remember anything from the past?"