37. Fruitful discussion

Previously...

Lan Jingyi, "These are from Sect leader Jiang's guest room. Zewu-jun ordered to bring them here before he left."

Lan Wangji's eyes opened wide. How is this possible. Is his brother and that arrogant sect leader Jiang a... couple?

Third Person POV

"What! How is that possible? Shouldn't we-"

"A-tian leaves when Yue Liang abjures Taiyang to emerge above all that lies below, leaving no one undone."

"B-b-but we need to-"

"Dread not for the mighty has awoken. Yue Liang will never leave not until the sky breaks to bring peace upon the dreaded.

Yunmeng Jiang, Lotus Pier,

The two sect leaders were drinking tea near the Lotus Lake. After having a fruitful discussion, they planned to investigate the Jiahao clan in the banquet held by the Qinghe Nei clan. Lan xichen, then I'll take my leave." The Jiang nodded. "That demon might return here the moment the Gusu Lan robes are removed. I will move forward with it then." The Lan nodded and stood up followed by the other. 

They walked around the beautiful lake. The lotuses were fully bloomed, and dragon flies sat on them. The trees swayed with the wind. It was a pleasant evening. They soon reached the entrance and said their farewells. The Lan flew back on his sword while the Jiang walked into the building.

Hui zhong, "Sect leader, a reply came. It is marked red." Jiang cheng nodded and went to the study room with Hui zhong following behind. Jiang opened the letter right after he sat. His face twisted into various unpleasant expressions.

Jiang cheng, "What about the letter?" The disciple took out a file from his robes and gave it to the sect leader. "This is what we received from them." Jiang cheng opened it and saw various talismans. They looked similar to the ones stuck on the stone, but he wasn't sure.

He put them back in and gave it back. "You will go to Gusu tomorrow, give this to sect leader Lan. Also, you will get a bundle from there." Hui zhong nodded. He could feel his muscles give up on life. It hasn't even been two weeks since he went to the north for a month. Not only was it very far, but it was also much colder than Gusu.

But serving his leader was his duty that he will never abandon. Hence, he nodded trying his best to be optimistic.

Hui zhong left to prepare for the next day while Jian cheng continued doing his sect matter. After reviewing stacks of scrolls and documents, he finally left the study. 

He walked through the corridor when he felt like turning left. The left side of the Manor is a place that was abandoned by him a few weeks after learning the truth about his core. It reminded him of bad memories and made him feel more guilty. He took each step slowly afraid the floor would break if he were to step even a little harder. It was night and the entire Manor was light up other than this side. The more he walked, the darker it became. 

When he reached the end of the corridor where his brother's room was, he turned back to look at the start of the corridor. It was contrastingly brighter and livelier. He turned back and faced the door. It was his first room as a child which was given up for Wei wuxian. He placed his hands on the door not sure if he should open it.

He felt his vision blur. The space started to move. His legs lost its strength, he quickly grabbed on the wall but only the door was in front of him. He put all his strength in his hands to keep him up. But that force pushed the door open making him fall down. 

He shook his head, trying to shake away the sudden blur in his vision. He glanced upon a seat and dragged himself to sit. He closed his eyes and too k a few deep breaths. He opened his eyes and glanced around the room. 

Though it was abandoned, the maids still clean it every day, keeping it clean. The pinkish purple light from the sunset gave the room a creepy aura. His eyes moved to the entrance; he then realized his outer robes have fallen on the ground.

 He stood up and walked back to the entrance, but he turned towards the shelves. He looked at every item. Though it was not the items that Wei wuxian used, he still tried to replicate everything. He was slightly proud of himself for being able to retain the originality of the manor. A small spread on his face when he remembered the good old times. He placed it down and turned to the other side to inspect it. 

He crossed up a talisman which was not supposed to be there. He took it and tried to read it, but the room was too dark for it. He walked towards a lamp; the talisman log forgotten. He made a talisman and stuck it on the lamp which glowed but when he turned away, it went off. He turned to find the talisman on the ground. He picked it up and put some more spiritual energy in it and tried again. It lit up much brighter but the moment he turned away, it vanished.

His eyebrows furrowed as he picked up the talisman again. He put more energy in it and stuck it again. But rather than turning around he looked at it. After making sure it would not fall, he turned around and the room became dark again. He gritted his teeth. He was about to cuss at the lamp, but he suddenly felt chills on his back. 

He turned around and saw the Gusu Lan white robes midair. The spell on the robes lit up golden. The purple light in the room turned red. He couldn't hear the sound of the disciples and maids. It was very silent. He could only hear his heartbeat and his breathing.

The spell on the robes suddenly caught on fire and burnt the entire robes.  His breath was caught in his throat. He felt the air become dense. Suddenly the burnt remains flew towards him. He covered his head with his hands. But rather than half burnt cloth, he felt icy cold air against his hands. He opened his eyes to find himself in a different space.

His hair suddenly fell down from the bun. The purple ribbon came around his neck. In a swift moment he tore away the ribbon. The torn pieces tuned into red blood which slowly dripped down from his palms. 

The cold air once again surrounded him. In the dense moment he heard soft chuckles near his ear. He swiftly turned his head to the side only to see them.