28. In a Sack

Previously...

Just as he expected, Jinling was cursed, and he was requested to meet them the next day. He sighed. "Good thing I got it before it did something to him." He slowly closed his eyes as darkness filled his vision.

Third Person POV

"A-Qi! A-Qi~ wake up, you promised to take me to the lantern festival. A-Qi!"

Jiang cheng woke up startled by a loud crashing noise. The snake was playing with broken shards which was originally a vase. He rubbed his eyes and looked at the letter in front of him. 'When did I fall asleep.'

The snake which was playing with the shards had a cut on it's body which spread everywhere as it slid around jiang cheng. Jiang cheng was about to take his sword and kill it but then the snake's words repeated in his mind. He cussed at it and went to get ready for the day.

*Hiss* The snake followed behind until the door shut close almost cutting its neck off. Dark mist reappeared as the snake grew limbs. "Tsk, how sad. He doesn't react to anything I do. But it'll send soon, I hope you enjoy it as much as you can." After healing his cut, he went around the room, inspecting everything he could see. But it did not last long as the owner of the room entered, "Hands off."

Jiang cheng was now as fresh as a fully bloomed flower in the spring, and he was enlightened with ideas to deal with the snake he cursed upon himself. The demon who stared at his smirking face scoffed. "I should remind you, anything you do to me, will only affect you." Jiang cheng ignored his presence and continued his usual routine which was to go through all the official documents.

He sat in once place, without talking or even moving his eyes. He knew that demons need to get energy from their host, so he sat patiently waiting for it to take action. "Aren't you going to Gusu, do you plan on watching over me till sunset." Jiang cheng replied with his eyes still on his scrolls, "Why do you bother?" The demon kept quiet and turned into a snake curled up on the floor. 

After a while, Jiang cheng looked at it. The snake was deep in slumber and immediately woke up when it felt something thick thrown on top of it. Soon it was pushed around. Jiang cheng walked out of his chamber with a sack in his hands. 

All the maids looked at him, wondering why their sect leader had a sack in his hands. The snake tried to move around but being midair it did not have much option. Suddenly it felt being dropped and took the opportunity to move. 

Hui zhong, "Sect leader Jiang!" With a bow he greeted the sect leader and stared at the sack next to him. Jiang cheng, "You may start." Hui zhong averted his sight and started explaining everything that happened.

Jiang cheng sighed relief, hearing the part when the demon was trying to 'eat' Jinling almost gave him a heart attack. "I have also investigated on it just like you said, and I found some dissimilar documents. Though they don't match completely, most of it is true. I'm afraid they're trying to take revenge." Jiang cheng took the documents and placed it in a shelf near him. "If there is nothing else then let's leave." The disciple nodded before leaving. He took a letter from the shelf and opened the windows, placing it on the wooden frame.

He took the sack and left the study room. The snake if could, definitely would have a vein popping in its forehead. Never in any of its reincarnation had it ever been treated like this. The sack kept moving up and down making it really uncomfortable to stay in. But it soon changed when the sack went flying in high speed. The poor snake tried to move around but got a smack through the sack.

Unable to handle it anymore, it, in a *poof* curled around its host's neck, hissing near his face. Jiang cheng rolled his eyes and grabbed the snake roughly and stuffed it back into the sack and casted a talisman on it. The snake grumpily turned and twisted, trying to fall asleep mid-air.

Jiang cheng finally landed and sheathed his sword. The snake was finally able to sleep, though it still marveled at jiang cheng's courage. 

Jiang cheng walked to the gates of Cloud recess and showed his invitation and moved forward. The snake who finally found its sleep was abruptly forced awake by the loud noise. As a demon it had its own plans which were unable to proceed because of its host.

Jinling stood next to Jiang cheng who was glaring at him. He knew the moment he went to Lotus Pier he would return to Lanling Jin with a missing leg. He stood quietly avoiding his uncle's eyes. 

The Lans finally appeared, they all sat in the main hall after finishing their greetings. The grandmaster sat in the middle of the main hall, to his left sat the Lans and their significant other. While on his right the purple and gold sat. The sack was long gone the moment the Lans came. As for its destination, nobody knew.

The tension in the room was quite heavy. The once brothers were avoiding each other like as if they were plague. The second Jade kept glaring at the Lotus while the first Jade amiably looked at him. Jinling had a hard time calming down as he watched his uncle's knuckles turn white with anger and he knew he was the reason, which made him cower in fear. The grandmaster however was staring into nothing as he readied himself to explain the entire history.

The grandmaster took a deep breath in and looked at everyone present. It felt like yesterday when he was in the same position as them, filled with vigor, fighting against evil and bringing peace to the land. 

Lan qiren, "Sect leader Jiang, I suppose your disciple has already told you about the incident." Jiang cheng looked at the elder and nodded, "Yes, my sincere apologies for causing a commotion yesterday. I'll discipline him well." Jinling gulped and shuddered at the thought.

Lan qiren, "Please, it is the demon to blame. I never thought it would return again and cause such a big turmoil." We wuxian looked at the elder, "What do you mean, grandmaster Lan?" Lan qiren took another deep breath.

Lan qiren, "200 years ago, when my mother was still a child. Our great grand elder, Lan Yujie was the sect leader. He was well known for his kind and forgiving heart. His wife died while giving birth but even still their child did not lack affection. Everything was peaceful and calm until the sky opened."