35. Squirrel

Previously...

Lan Wangji, "So he asked you to seek Wei wuxian even though he knew it was dangerous and how it could affect him since he does not have a core." This was the first time Jinling heard the Second Jade talk, at least more than a few words. But somehow, he felt that it would be better to never hear him talk.

Third Person POV

Lan qiren, "Wangji." The Lan looked away. His hate for the Jiang evident in his eyes. 'He must really hate me.' The Jiang thought. Just then a squirrel jumped down from a tree and landed on Jiang cheng's head. He was startled and jumped back hitting his head and receiving pain from his bottom. He tried his best to shut his mouth, but a small whimper escaped his mouth and entered the ears of all those present inside.

Wei wuxian whose back faced the backyard stood up to check it but the Lan immediately stopped him. "Master Wei, you don't have to trouble yourself. It must be some creature in the backyard. Nothing threatening." The Lan tried his best to not lie yet still divert their attention.

"As for sect leader Jiang, I saw him leave in the morning. He was inside just a while ago." Jinling furrowed his brows, "But uncle never leaves before telling me." The Lan quickly came up with something else, "Maybe he is in his room."

The other nodded, considering the possibility. Lan Wangji, "Then we must go meet him." Jiang cheng cursed at the jade, 'That damn stone, how am I supposed to go there now?' Luckily the other Lan helped him as he should, "I don't think it's a good time, he seemed really tired." Lan Qiren nodded, "Then I'll take my leave." Soon after everyone but the Lan brothers stayed in the room. 

Lan wangji, "Brother, you're acting different today. Are you hiding something." Lan xichen was caught on spot. At least he was not called out in front of the others. He did not know how to reply, should he tell the truth or should he hide it. 

Lan xichen, "I..." Lan wangji saw his hesitation and narrowed his eyes, "You don't have to force yourself." Saying that the second jade turned and left the room. Lan xichen was about to start feel apologetic for his being unbale to talk to his brother freely but he wasn't able to when he realized the other's presence.

He rushed out and carried the Jiang who was still on the floor, with his legs hanging on the stone seat. The squirrel which caused his demise ran away when Lan xichen came. Jiang cheng was about to refuse his help but the Lan already sat him on the bed. "Sect leader Jiang! are you alright?" Jiang cheng rolled his eyes, "Stop with that title." It was not because their relationship improved, he still wanted to punch the Lan but after being addressed as 'Wanyin' Sect leader Jiang sounded odd.

Jiang cheng, "I need to leave as soon as possible." The Lan looked down; he was happy when he was allowed to call the other Wanyin but the idea of having his potential friend go made his invisible bunny ears drop.

Jiang was able to read him like an open book, unlike his brother, he showed his expressions really well. "I still have work to do. I already told you I'd only stay for the morning." The Lan looked up, "Of course, should I arrange a carriage?" Jiang cheng shook his head, "No need, I can fly my sword." The Lan wasn't fine with the idea, but he had to accept. 

Jiang cheng grabbed the Lan's hand and stood up. He blinked his pain away and grabbed his sword. "Hui zhong will come here, you can give my belonging to him." Saying that he walked towards the door. "It's not safe for you to go such long distances alone. How about staying till you recover. The cold pond will help you heal faster." The Jiang turned around, "You don't get a say, you are the reason for this, remember." 

The Lan looked down again, "How about I accompany you, I will leave once you land safely." Jiang cheng walked towards him, "Do I look weak to you, sect leader Lan?" The Lan immediately shook his head, "Of course not! You are very strong, and I admire you for that. You have stayed strong even through hard times. You never failed to protect your clan. I was really honored to be your friend." Jiang cheng scoffed, only if he knew.

The two took off after Lan informed the others that he will return the next day. The journey was long. Jiang cheng stopped in between to sit down. HIs legs were throbbing just like the Lans heart every time the Jiang glared at him.

The stopped near a restaurant when the Sun was above them. They ordered simple dishes and ate them in silence. Jiang cheng was still in Lan xichen's clothes. The main reason how he managed to leave Cloud Recess easily. 

As they were eating behind them, a group of disciples sat and loudly chatted with each other. But they were not from any of the big sects. Lan xichen was not able to identify them, so he looked at the Jiang who got the message. He lifted the metal water jar which reflected their clothing.

Jiang cheng, 'Jiahao clan? what are they doing here?' As he sat in front of them, with his back facing them, he clearly heard their conversation. 

The Jiahao clan wears a luxurious uniform. Though can't compare to the Lanling Jin clan, they were still outstanding in a way. Along with their red and pink outer robes bordered by gold, all the disciples wore a matching hairpin irrespective of their gender. Though it did not carry the same importance of a Gusu ribbon, it was similar and only worn by Jiahao disciples.

"I bet were going to get promoted once we return. That was so hard to do. Even a fierce corpse wouldn't be as hard as that grumpy old man." The others laughed loudly. "You bet; I had a really hard time peeling that mask off. And that wig definitely made me look like a grandmaster."

"It's all fine but how could he scare us off like that. I was almost about to faint." The others threw their bread on him. "You have no talk here; you fake fainted when he slightly threatened you. We were the ones who had to deal with all his shit. I hope that curse kills him soon."

Jiang cheng wanted to look at them but he knew it would cause trouble and his ass is not ready to stand straight. Even sitting hurts, that damn Lan xichen. After cursing the other enough to make him sneeze he drank some water and stood up. He was not done eating but the curiosity urged him to look at their faces. 

He walked a bit away from their side with a jar in his hands and washed his mouth. He then walked back to his seat but made sure to look at each and every one of them. And then it hit him.