Chapter 731 - Comrades in a Past Life

Giving himself a hard pinch, Han Lei grimaced in pain. He wasn't dreaming.

"You really remind me of an old friend of mine back in middle school. His name was Han Lei. I only came over here to ask," Nie Yan said. He swept his eyes over Han Lei's face. The overall impression this fellow gave was still the same. A big burly guy in Mage robes really did look a bit funny.

"Y-you're right. My name is Han Lei. And you are...?" Han Lei asked with a stunned face. Did he really know Nirvana Flame?

"I'm Nie Yan." Nie Yan chuckled.

"I know you're Nirvana Fla-" Han Lei's face flashed with a sudden realization. "W-wait, Nie Yan!?"

Nie Yan nodded with a smile.

Han Lei shot up to his feet with an overjoyed look and firmly patted Nie Yan's shoulders. The more he looked, the more familiar he appeared. "Damn. What a small world! Nirvana Flame, huh...? You really made a name for yourself. You're basically the overlord of the entire Viridian Empire! I can't believe it's you! My head is spinning! Back then, you..."

Han Lei compared their heights. He recalled Nie Yan was just a short, scrawny kid back then. Nothing like this tall and muscular man standing in front of him. Every little action he made carried the air of a peak master.

Or perhaps the reputation of Nirvana Flame was just too glorious, and it was influencing his perception. Han Lei couldn't help but feel like he was gazing up at a towering mountain. However, the two of them were close childhood friends. This sort of bond transcended everything and melted away any feelings of awkwardness.

"What about Tang Yao? How's that fella doing?" Han Lei asked.

"Tang Yao? He's doing good. Ever heard of the name Young Sparrow Hawk?" Nie Yan replied.

"W-what!? Tang Yao is Young Sparrow Hawk?" Han Lei's eyes widened in shock. "I always thought we were about the same when it came to skill. To think he's actually the Young Sparrow Hawk who dominated the leaderboards for over half a year! Seriously, what is up with this world!?"

Young Sparrow Hawk was also an extremely famous player in the Viridian Empire.

His two best childhood friends, Tang Yao and Nie Yan, had become such awesome figures in the few years since he last saw them. Han Lei felt like his brain stopped working.

Nie Yan chuckled. Han Lei's way of speaking was still the same.

"Say, how did you recognize me?" Han Lei asked. He still had a hard time wrapping his head around this situation.

"I don't know... If I had to say, it would be one part gut feeling, one part the unique way you speak, and one part your appearance," Nie Yan teased.

Han Lei ruminated for a while. Nie Yan's explanation did seem plausible. He no longer thought about it.

"Interested in joining Asskickers United?"

"R-really? You mean it? I'd love to join! Man, is this what it's like to have a childhood friend become famous?" Han Lei laughed. He gladly accepted Nie Yan's invite.

"You'll still have to pass the entrance test like everyone else, but I can provide you with some equipment," Nie Yan said. He would start feeling uncomfortable if Han Lei was reserved with him.

"As long as I have some good gear, the test will be a breeze," Han Lei said, beating his chest confidently. "Oh, right. I also have a group of close friends."

"The more, the merrier. They're invited to join as well," Nie Yan said. The faces of those old teammates still remained fresh in his mind. Fatty, Hottie, and Doctor, he wondered how those guys were doing.