The Make Up Gesture

Following Evening.

Taraji was getting ready for her "date" with Ken. She and her wife were hardly talking because of the heated argument they had following the conversation Taraji had with Ken on the phone.

Fantasia walked into their closet, while Taraji was doing finishes and touches on her makeup. They looked at each other in the mirror.
"Here to search for a gun before I leave?" Taraji asked, rolling her eyes. "No. Uhm... Baby -"

"Don't. Don't baby me, you are confused. Do you want him back Fantasia? Cause I can let you go, this is not worth me losing my kids over. You want your husband back... Just say so, I will let you go because I won't sit here while that bastard murders my kids and niece. You don't look scared or pissed off, is like you know he won't murder anyone you care about. Maybe because you know he loves you way too much to hurt you, but me... He hates me, he hates my kids because he feels like it is their fault you two are not together. He's gonna eliminate them eventually. And I know he's gonna kill me sooner or later because I'm his enemy. And guess what wifey, I'm not okay letting him do that without a fight. I'm gonna fight this husband of yours with everything I've got left. But... To answer the curiosity written in your eyes, no, I'm not armed, I'm going to see that dangerous man and his deadly associates unarmed. Looks like you are okay with me dying and not okay with him dying. You picked your side and I made peace with it. I'm going to negotiate plainly." Taraji said and stood up picked up her purse and walked past her wife.
Fantasia grabbed her hand and placed a gun in it.
"I'm not okay with anybody dying. Especially you, I'm sorry about last night," she whispered. Taraji disconnected the gun and showed her she knew the gun was empty. Then placed it on the couch yanked her off of her and stormed out.
Fantasia felt like shit cause the truth is, she had no idea the pistol was empty.
"uh fuck me!!"

Taraji and Ken met at the restaurant. Taraji realized the restaurant was booked just for their meeting. She realized everyone else was from the CIA, the Valet guy, security, the waiters, the kitchen people.
Her heart pounded out of her chest. She was escorted to the table where Ken was waiting.
"I thought I said in a public place, without backup..." she said.

"I don't negotiate Taraji," He said. That was the first time he ever called her by her name.
"Well, this meeting is useless because I came here to negotiate," she said turning to leave, she couldn't wait to get the hell out of there, she was terrified out of her mind. "Sit, I would like to hear it," he said.

Damn it. She thought.
She turned slowly. He gestured for her to sit. She sat down. Her eyes were everywhere, everybody was looking at her. "I'm dead, ain't I?" she asked him

"Pretty much. But you have an option"

"what's that? I really can't make Fantasia get back with you, she doesn't want to."

"not that. Join my team and disappear. We keep your family safe and you work for me underground" He said.
"what? No!"

"Are you plainly saying no... Or do you need time to think about it?"

"no, I'm not gonna work for you and leave my family, Ken. I rather take the bullet. now kill me," Taraji said.
The restaurant lights went off.
They heard gunshots. They were like a toy gun, or a sniper, soft and almost silent. He grabbed Taraji to shield himself with her body.

The lights went on. All his Agents were down. He and Taraji were the last man and woman standing.
He was shaking. "you called for backup? I was starting to like you" he snapped at her. "no I didn't. I'm as confused as you are" Taraji said.

The door opened. Fantasia walked in with her sniper gun.
"Here is the thing. I don't like your game, and I'm not okay with either one of you dying because I have kids with you people, and I'm not fucking okay with my kids mourning y'all. So here is what is gonna happen. Ken, you gonna get out of your underground life, get your real life together here on the ground. Get yourself together enough for my kids to respect, then you can get visitation from your kids. But you stay the hell away from my family or go back underground and never come back. Cause if you ever come near my family again, as close as you are to my wife right now... I will blow your brains out myself. Let my wife go"