Winning Or Losing?

First therapy session.

Taraji arrived at 9 o'clock. "Sorry I'm late, I had to stop by the courthouse first, shall we begin? I'm Taraji by the way" she said to the receptionist.
The lady smiled. "I'm sorry Mrs..." she checked on her Ipad. "Barrino. I'm not your doctor. I'm her PA. Tina. Tina Mayweather"

"I'm sorry. I saw your tag declaring Mayweather, stupid me I didn't see the tiny PA printed on top of your name."

"Everybody makes that mistake firsthand. I will enlarge the PA. The doctor is my sister, Trina. I just buzzed you in, she will come for you"

"is my other party here?"
"no! It's 9. Probably stuck in traffic. Take a seat"
Taraji looked sad. She took a sit.
"so Barrino. Any relations with a woman named Dr. Regina Barrino-Hall"
"Yes. She's my wife's sister. How do you know her?"

"How can I not? The woman is a big deal in London. I heard she was American, I just never met anybody related to her. She and my sister are good friends. I guess brilliance recognizes brilliance huh? I always had a crush on her. I'm straight as fuck but that woman makes me wanna take off my straight jacket"
She chuckled. Taraji smiled. "I guess maybe I married the wrong Barrino huh?"
"Damn right!" she laughed again. Taraji chuckled.

The doctor stepped out of the office. "Taraji right? I'm Doctor Mayweather. I apologize I was on a virtual season it ended way out of the set duration. I do first names, I hope that's not a problem."
"not at all however doc. I might take a one-woman session today. My-- other party is not here"

"Oh. Okay uh, follow me"
Taraji stood.
Tina smiled at her. It was a friendly smile.

In the office.

The Doctor showed Taraji a chair. Then took her chair and sat on it. She grabbed a notepad.
"Why do you feel like you need this with or without her?" she asked.

"You don't offer me a drink? You just go right to it?"
"gin?"

"Please!" Trina poured Taraji a glass and handed it to her. She sipped and made a face. "let me guess scotch girl?"
"Yes, do you have any?"

"no. But I will have some next time you come in here. Talk to me mummy what's in your head, what's in your heart" Taraji stood up and walked to the big window. "New York is busy this time of the day huh?"
"it is busy all day every day," Trina said putting away her notepad and pen.

"what do you love about the city?"
"it raised me!" Taraji said. "Yeah? Can't detach from something that raised you."

Taraji sniffled. "Why can't I? She can hurt me but I can't let go, How fair is that?"
Dr. Mayweather picked up the notepad.
"you can if you want. The reason you can't is not because it is impossible is because you don't want to. Feel free to tell me on wrong"

"you are wrong!"

"Correct me!"
"I hate her now. The love is gone, I don't want her. But there is always something pulling me to her anatomy, she raised me. She gave me everything I got. My kids, my house, my job. Everything has her name on it"
"you want out?"

"yes please yes. Help me get the fuck out of this pain!"

"tell me about the most hurtful pain she ever brought you"

"oh God, where do I begin?"

"how about, why are you here? The most recent pain. What did she do?"
Taraji looked at Trina.
"Are we done here?" She asked. "can I go?"

Trina checked the time.
"yes, we are done. Can I see you tomorrow? Or next week maybe?" she asked politely. Taraji nodded. "noon?'

"works for me." The doctor said. Taraji took her purse and walked out.