Chapter Eleven

Katniss POV- (A few hours later)

"Come inside, Katniss. It's nearly 9 o'clock and it's freezing outside." Peeta opens the front door up.

I turn and look at him, "I am not ready to come inside yet." I whisper.

"Katniss, come on? I'm sorry about earlier but you can't just stay out here."

"Why couldn't I?" I shoot.

"Because it's still winter. I'll be very surprised if you don't get sick from this little strike of yours." He says, putting a blanket over my shoulders.

"It's not a strike."

"It seems like a strike to me." Peeta says quietly.

I snap my head, "It's not."

"Just please come inside. I'll even sleep on the couch and Willow can sleep in the living room with me so you can be alone." Peeta says but there's no self-pity in his voice.

I stand up and push past him inside our warm house.

He closes the front door and locks up the house.

"I am not sure if you heard me three hours ago, your dinner is on the table. Probably ruined now." Peeta says.

I shrug.

"Hey, I went out and told you but you never came in." He says, annoyed.

"I'll find something else." I say, walking into the kitchen, he follows me in there of course.

"No, let me." He says.

I turn and face him, "Stop."

"What?"

"Just please, stop?" I snap.

He sighs, "Katniss, I'm still not even sure why you're mad at me."

"I'm not either but I want you to let me take care of myself."

"Okay, well not to be rude but just because you've striked on being a wife and mother, Willow is nearly out of milk so you better get some more or you're dealing with her when she's starving in the middle of the night."

I scoff, "You really think I hate you both." I roll my eyes and sit at the island.

"I didn't say that but I'm just being honest with you. Why can't you just not be mad at us? I can't necessarily speak for myself but Willow has done nothing wrong."

"I'm not mad at either of you."

"Then quit acting like it. You're hurting Willow more than you're hurting me by acting like this." He says getting some cereal from the cabinet and milk from the fridge.

"Peeta, I swear I'm not trying to be a bitch. I love you both but I need some time to myself for today at least."

Peeta scoffs, "What's going to happen tomorrow? You're not just going to act like nothing happened. I know you all too well. I love you but I just need you to work with me. I know you're having a hard time but ignoring me doesn't make it any better. Ignoring Willow doesn't help anything either. It's no different than what your mom did to."

I close my eyes.

My eyes and nose burn as tears threaten to spill over.

"I'm sorry." I choke out, my voice cracking at the end. "I'm not trying to hurt anyone but that's all I seem to be good for." I cry.

"Katniss-" He starts but I cut him off.

"No, Peeta. I don't know why I'm acting like this and I know I'm no better than our mothers but I promise I just can't help it." I say frantically.