Chapter Thirteen

Katniss POV-

"Peeta?" I ask after a minute.

"Yeah?" He turns to me.

I pause a second, trying to think of how to say what I'm thinking.

"I'm just really glad that we are best friends." I settle.

He smiles genuinely, "I am glad too, Katniss."

"Because even if I'm really upset, you always manage to make me smile or laugh in some way whether I want to or not."

"Well, you do the same for me." He says.

"With very little success I might add."

He frowns, "It wasn't because I didn't think what you said was funny or cute but I just couldn't bring myself to be happy then and I'm sorry."

"It's okay."

"And since you're going through this now...again, it's my turn to help you more than I could've before because I spent way longer being upset than you did about Prim." He says and I think that's true but I'm not as kind hearted as him.

I just settled to get over it all quicker because I knew that's what I needed to do.

Peeta is wired different than me.

I sigh and hold my breath and exhale deeply.

"Peeta, we always are left feeling like we owe each other something. It's like we are both fighting against each other to make the other person happy. I don't know how to explain it but you never need to think you owe me anything, because you don't." I say.

His face falls and he thinks about what I said.

"But I owe everything to you, Katniss. Everything I have and everything I am is because of you." He starts and continues before I can butt in.

"No matter what you think, you changed me, Katniss. You saved me more times than I could count. You've given me everything." He says and the passion in his voice makes me want to believe him but it's no different than he's done for me.

"Peeta, you're always 100% honest with me, aren't you?" I ask softly.

He nods, "Always, Katniss."

"Honestly, do you think I would survived very long if I didn't have you to keep me going after Prim died?"

He sighs, "I don't know but I would hope so. Who knows what you would've been doing or where you would've been if I hadn't been there. Maybe you would've lived in this house with them still or maybe you would've been in college or somewhere already and had someone else to keep you going but I think you would've come around."

"Well, I think differently. Do you think you would've made it much longer if it hadn't been for Willow?"

"I would like to think I would've came around for you. That's what I wanted at least."

"What if I hadn't been there with you? What about then?"

"No, absolutely not. I wouldn't have made it without you." He says softly.

"Then I'm really glad we are together because I know I wouldn't have made it this far without you in my life." I mutter to him.

"Me either." He says and wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me into his lap as if I weighed close to nothing.

"Forever and always?" I ask him just because.

"Yes. I'll love you forever and always, Katniss."