Chapter Thirty-Eight

Katniss POV- (About 2:45am)

(Text from Peeta)

"Willow and I will be there in about 5 minutes." He says.

I can't stop smiling.

Today has been quite lonely without them but I'm so excited I'm here, I'm just completely dreading tomorrow. They'll probably be gone most of the day after we get there and I'll be in another hotel room I'm sure.

I flip off the tv, climbing out of the warm, white, clean bed and grab my jacket, zipping it up. I grab my phone and key card and head downstairs.

The hall is empty and so quiet it's creepy. I go down the elevator alone, which is even creepier.

The lobby is empty too besides a man at a desk who's half asleep.

I must startle him because he gasps a little when I walk past.

"Ma'am?" He says, his eyes wide and more alert than they were before.

I look up, "Did you think you saw a ghost?" I laugh, merely amused with his expression. 

"Well... No..." He says and I want to believe him but I can't.

I laugh it off and glance out the front doors.

"What are you doing?" He asks.

"My husband is about to be here, I was going to go outside and help him bring his things in." I say and he nods.

I walk into the cold night air and about that time, Peeta's car pulls into the parking lot.

My heart races and I quickly rush over to it. He gets out and I jump into his arms, he takes a step back, holding onto me.

"I missed you so much." I say into his chest.

"I missed you too, even though it's only been 24 hours." Peeta laughs tiredly.

I smile, "I'm really sorry I didn't go with you this morning and that I am a brat and had to come but I think I would've gone crazy if I hadn't." I tell him.

He kisses my lips.

It's warm and welcoming, unlike the atmosphere out here.

"It's perfectly fine. I'm glad you did."

"Me too." I say.

Peeta lets out a yawn and by the look of his face and eyes, I can tell he's exhausted.

"I am just glad I get to be with you on your birthday. I would've felt bad to have missed it, especially under these circumstances."

"I'm glad you're gonna be here too but it honestly wouldn't have been too big of a deal, I would've had Willow too."

"Don't argue because you'll lose." I laugh.

Peeta smiles, "You haven't changed a bit the last 24 hours." He says shaking his head and setting me down on the ground.

I roll my eyes and playfully slap his arm, "Sorry, I tried but I just couldn't bring myself to do it." I shrug and he laughs.

"I wanna get Willow." I say peaking in the back window.

"Go ahead. Surprisingly she stayed up until about 1 and fell back asleep but she's been awake most of the day." He tells me.

I smile and open up the back seat. She's in her car seat, cuddled up with her lamb and a blanket too.

I carefully unbuckle her and get her out without waking her. An art I've mastered.

I wrap the blanket around her again, she lays her head on my shoulder and Peeta wraps his arm around my waist.

Finding the Missing Piece: Book 5On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara