Chapter Twenty-Five

Katniss POV- (A few weeks later)

"Oh, Willow. Daddy is getting you some medicine to help. Please quit crying?" I beg, about to cry myself. She's bucking herself back and forth and has been screaming her head off for hours.

She's cutting teeth and she is miserable. She has a rash on her chin from drooling so much and refuses to eat or drink anything. We called the doctor and they said it's normal and just to encourage her to eat but she won't.

That's our daughter for you; nearly as stubborn as Peeta and I combined.

"You want some of the cookies Daddy made?" I ask, holding one up.

She doesn't even stop to look and usually you mention food and she's giving you her undivided attention.

I frown and just keep trying to soothe her.

"Willow...Please stop?" I say with tears in my eyes.

I sigh and close my eyes, listening to her cries and trying to stay calm.

"Katniss, I'm back." I hear Peeta come in the front door. He closes the door and comes around to us. He scoops her up and looks at me sadly.

I'm not sure who's more upset at this point, me or Willow.

"Hey, baby. Daddy's got you." He says softly, getting her attention.

She is whimpering and just looks at him as tears roll down her cheeks.

"This is going to taste funny but it'll help." He says swiping his finger across her gums.

Willow makes a face and tastes the medicine.

"Poor baby." He sighs, looking at me with a frown.

I sigh, "Ugh, Peeta. I hate seeing her like this."

He sighs, "Me too, but she will get over it soon." He says, trying to sound positive but he hates it nearly as much as I do.

'Yeah, until another tooth comes in.' I think to myself.

I sigh and sit down next to them. She stopped bucking herself and crying but is still not feeling good. She has her head on Peeta's shoulder and her breaths are choppy from crying.

He gives me a frown and I return it.

"I think she's running a fever still." I tell him, feeling of her forehead which is extremely warm.

Peeta frowns, "We could take her to the doctor but we already know what'll happen and what they'll say and do."

"Yeah, they'll give us the same medicine you just bought and then tell us she's teething. We know that."

"So all we can do is just try to keep her comfortable and not hurting. The medicine I just gave her will just numb her gums but in the bag there's some pain reliever that should help and it'll take her fever down. I put her teethers in the freezer before I left so maybe those will help her later."

I shrug, "I sure hope so. Let's give her this pain reliever so maybe she can fall asleep and actually get to rest?" I suggest, pulling the grape flavored medicine from the bag.

I read the instructions and give her a dose of the medicine. She takes it with no problem and within a few seconds, she's much more content.

"How about you go take a nap or something? You look like you could use one." He says.

"Wow. Thanks." I say sarcastically.

"I'm not saying that to be mean but I'm saying it because you look like you've had a rough day."