Chapter Forty-Eight

Katniss POV- (May 8th)

"Happy birthday, to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday, dear Mommy. Happy birthday to you!!" Willow and Peeta sing to me as they burst through our bedroom door, holding a beautiful cake with lit candles.

I sit up, "Oh my gosh." I say wanting to cry.

Peeta puts Willow down on the bed and holds the cake up with his other hand, "Make a wish." He says to me and I do. Then I blow out the candles.

Willow claps and cheers for me as Peeta sets the cake on my bedside table and I take his hands. He leans down and presses a kiss to my lips.

"Happy birthday, honey." He says smiling sweetly.

I smile widely, "Thank you."

Willow moves over to me and embraces me, "Happy birthday, Momma."

I smile and kiss her cheek, "Thank you, baby girl. Did you help Daddy make my cake?"

"Yep." She smiles.

"She designed it and everything and helped me make it yesterday." Peeta tells me, proudly, practically bragging on her.

I smile and give her a pat on the back, "I love it, sweetheart."

"Thanks." She says smiling proudly at Peeta.

"She's my little baker." Peeta says proudly.

I smile softly.

"Momma, we should have cake for breakfast since it's your birthday." Willow says eyeing the cake.

I laugh, "Tell Daddy to make us some and we can!" I say to her and she gets excited.

I usually make her eat something healthy but it is my birthday and I think we could all use a treat.

"Let's go downstairs then, Mommy. Quit being lazy." Peeta teases me.

Willow jumps off the bed and Peeta stands up, grabbing my cake and I get up too and we all three go downstairs, Willow holds me hand.

"This is yummy, Willow." I tell her, taking a bite of my birthday cake.

"Daddy said you're getting old. He said that's why you had so many candles on your cake." Willow rats him out.

I turn and look at Peeta who just smirks, knowing I'll find humor in it.

"Is that what Daddy said?" I ask with a laugh. Peeta looks at me and grins cheesily, all teeth.

"Yup."

"That's funny because Daddy is older than me." I say to Willow and she giggles.

Peeta smiles again, "We are both old then."

I laugh at him, "You're so sweet."

"I know."

Willow gasps as if she's remembered something, jumping down and runs over to Peeta and whispers into his ear, he whispers back and she nods her head.

"We have some birthday presents for you." He says getting up and Willow climbs back into her chair as Peeta pulls a few bags out of the kitchen  pantry.

I laugh a little.

"You guys didn't have to get me anything." I tell them truthfully.

"Yes, we did." Peeta insists.

"Yeah, Momma. You get us stuff on our birthdays." Willow says.

Peeta sets about 3 bags with green tissue paper poking out of them and then hands me two homemade birthday cards.