Chapter Ninety-Four

Peeta POV- (District 10, Brandon's funeral)

"I never thought I would see you again and here we are. I'm sorry it's under these circumstances." I mumble, laying a letter Carter wrote him on his chest.

I feel like I'm going to be sick.

Bristol was going to deliver the letter to him herself but she couldn't take it. She ran out crying as we approached him and I tried to go after her but I just had to stay.

I had to tell him what I've wanted to tell him for six years.

"I know you probably hated me but I don't care. All I want you to know is that you gave up two amazing girls. I will never forgive you for the things you put them through, especially Carter. You have no idea how kindhearted and beautiful she is. And I'm proud that I get to be there for her since you can't." I say, leaving it at that and turning around and walking out.

I am the last to exit the church.

I find Bristol outside on the steps, crying her eyes out, looking as if she was a small animal wanting to be camouflaged by the woods around her.

People are staring at her and whispering, some of them still teary eyed from the funeral.

I kneel down, "Do you want to go?" I say quietly.

She looks up at me, nodding her head.

I help her up and she hugs me.

"It's alright." I mumble to her.

I glance back and see Brandon's father coming towards us.

He looks sad but more tired than anything.

He looks tired of the world and tired of the hurt.

I know that look well because it's the same look Katniss gets when she's really upset or depressed.

"I am so sorry." Bristol says, wiping away her tears, looking embarrassed of them.

"Thank you for coming. I know it means a lot to him and it does to our family too." He says awkwardly.

Bristol nods, looking at the ground.

"Bristol, I am sorry for the things he put you through but I want you to know that he never stopped thinking about you."

Bristol glances at me, speechless.

"I know you got remarried and he knew  about it too. He was really happy for you and hoped that this man treated you better than he did." He says and it's news to both of us.

"He said that?"

"Yes."

She turns and looks at me and I see a hint of hope in her eyes and she turns back.

"You and I both know he wasn't the same after he went in but I just want you to know that even though he treated you badly at times, he really did love you."

Bristol wipes away her tears, "I loved him too. I still love him."

"Well, I just hope that you are doing okay and that your new husband treats you better than my son did. I'm sorry, you know I raised him better." He says shaking his head. 

"I know you did but that's what war does to a person." She mumbles quietly.

Brandon's father walks away, no more exchanges of glances or talking.

"Let's go." Bristol tells me a few seconds later.

I sigh and we go.

We get into the car and buckle up.