Chapter Thirty-Seven

Katniss POV-

"I'll see you probably Monday morning sometime." Peeta says and wraps his arms around me in a hug, pressing a warm, hard kiss to my cheek and we just stay there for a few minutes.

I feel like I'm about to cry but I hold it in because it's my decision not to go and he will just feel bad for me or something and then force me to go with him and I don't want to go.

I would go if it wasn't to see my mother.

He rocks us back and forth, both of our eyes closed. I breathe him in and he stops, kissing my forehead.

"We have to go." He says.

We slowly pull away and I nod my head.

"You're sure you don't want to go?"

"I'm sure." I say but again I'm not but again I am.

"Okay. Just enjoy some time to yourself, Katniss. Don't spend the whole time crying or thinking about us, we will be perfectly fine." He assures me.

It's sad he knows exactly what I'll be spending the next few days doing.

I nod.

"Here, you want to go put Willow in the car?" He asks.

"Yes." I say and he hands her over to me.

She's passed out, being that it's 3am.

We go outside and I put her in her car seat, making sure she's completely secure and I kiss her cheek.

"I love you, baby girl." I say and close the car door. Peeta is behind me and I embrace him again.

"Please just drive super carefully." I say into his ear.

"I will."

I pull back, "I love you."

"I love you too. We will be fine, I promise. I will call you when we get to 10? That's just a few hours and then I'll call a few other times and we will probably stop in a hotel in District 5 or 4 maybe. And I'll call when we get there, alright?"

"Okay."

"Katniss, we don't have to go if you really don't want us to." Peeta tries.

I shake my head, "No. Go." I say.

I kind of want them to have some time together but again it's to see my mom and I am unsure how I feel about that and at the same time I want to go but I don't.

I just don't know what to do.

Things were a lot simpler yesterday, before my mother called.

Now I'm all confused about things again.

"Okay, well we really need to go." He says.

"I know."

I give him one last hug and he kisses my lips, "I love you. I'll see you soon. Remember that you need to relax." He says pulling away and just having to cut the string and get in and leave.

Because he and I both know that if he doesn't force himself away then it won't happen.

He backs out of the driveway and that's when I start crying, but thankfully it's dark so he can't see me. He waves and I wave back and then they're gone.

I wipe away my tears and head back into the house that already feels so lonely and I lock the door, turning on the security like I do every morning after Peeta leaves.

I lay on the couch and watch tv, some stupid show about history.

At 5am I fall asleep.

I don't wake up again until 10:30 and that's when I see Peeta tried calling just minutes before.