Chapter Sixteen

Peeta POV-

"Nothing happened? Hell, she was 5 months pregnant last time I saw her. Not saying you did it but the timeline sure adds up." Haymitch goes off.

"Haymitch! Stop talking." Effie scolds him, a little too late.

My heart sinks.

Nothing happened between that girl and I and I know it.

She was all over me but I wasn't all over her and not enough to get her pregnant.

"Peeta." Katniss growls, her eyes showing that hatred I saw for so long.

"Katniss, I swear nothing happened between us. She kept flirting with me but I didn't do anything." I say truthfully.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't think I needed to. It wasn't important because I did nothing wrong with her." I tell her.

"That makes you no different than Brandon."

"Katniss." I say.

"What are you going to do now that you know she's pregnant? Leave me and go raise her kid and not your wife's?" Katniss says and takes Willow from Effie's arms.

"Get out of my house, Peeta." She says, opening the door.

"Haymitch? Really? You know damn well nothing happened that night between me and that girl. I kept keeping my distance from her. I told you that." I say furiously.

"Katniss, I didn't realize it was such a touchy subject. I was only giving him a hard time. Nothing happened between the boy and that girl at the bar." Haymitch defends me now.

"Please. Leave." Katniss says, tears burning in her and my own eyes.

"Who?" Haymitch stupidly asks.

"All three of you!" Katniss snaps, making us all jump.

"You need to learn when to keep your trap shut! Katniss, I'm so very sorry for his behavior!" Effie slaps Haymitch as they walk out the door.

They quickly leave and Katniss is bawling her eyes out and Willow just lays in her arms, expressionless.

"I can't believe you, Peeta. Whether you had sex with her or not, you never once mentioned another girl!"

"I didn't do anything, Katniss! Just please believe me for once in your damn life." I say, making them both jump as I raise my voice at Katniss.

"I want to believe you but how can I when you won't even tell me the whole truth!" She cries.

Tears stream down my cheeks.

"Katniss, I've really messed up before but I have never been unfaithful to you!"

"Then you better have a really good excuse as to why this happened about five months ago, this girl is pregnant and why you're involved." She breathes.

"I got into a fight with her boyfriend about keeping his girlfriend off of me. I kept telling her I was married and she was all over me. I swear that's all that happened."

Her lip trembles, "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Katniss, I didn't do anything wrong. I swear." I start crying harder.

Why won't she believe me?

"I swear, Peeta. If you got some other girl pregnant, I will never ever speak to you again." Katniss shakes, she puts Willow in her swing and Willow just stares up at us-taking in the tensioned atmosphere.