Chapter Twenty-One

Katniss POV- (April, 18th)

"Today, we have been officially married a whole entire year." Peeta whispers into my ear, snuggling up closer to me.

I can't help but to smile widely as I open my eyes and face him.

"Happy Anniversary, Peeta Mellark." I grin.

He smiles widely, "Happy Anniversary, Katniss Mellark."

I laugh a little as he attacks me with his sweet lips.

"I love you so much." Peeta says, pulling away a few seconds later, his nose resting against mine and I can tell by the way he is breathing that he's smiling just as wide as I am.

"I love you too." I tell him softly, my voice nearly choked.

I know we tell each other this probably a hundred times a day but today it feels emotional to say it but in a good way. We had a lot of uncertainty this last year but we survived it all and I think we are on the path to being stronger than ever. I just can't believe it's been an entire year since I was nervously walking down the aisle to marry my best friend, not knowing what the future held. A year ago, when we began this journey, I certainly didn't think we would take a fast journey into becoming parents. I also would've never guessed that half of the trials we've been through this year would've happened either. We had a lot of ups and downs this last year and as bad as that all was, I would do it all again for the same outcome. After all the pain we've experienced this year, individually and as a couple, it couldn't compare to the joy that our greatest gift to one another has brought into our lives.

Willow.

Our sweet little girl.

It's a little bittersweet waking up without her here with us this morning. Finnick and Annie kept her for us so that Peeta and I could spend some time together but we spent all of last night and will probably spend most of today talking about her and missing her. I'm hoping I can talk Peeta into letting us bring her home earlier than we planned and I know he's missing her just as much as I am.

"I will be honest. I don't have much planned for us today but since we don't have Willow, we can do whatever we want." Peeta tells me.

I nod my head, trying to come back into reality.

"The weather is suppose to be nice today so I have a surprise for you but you should probably get dressed." He tells me.

I snort, "Well, you should probably get dressed too."

"I mean, I was planning on going in my underwear but I guess if I'm making you wear clothes, I need to wear clothes too. Huh?" Peeta says.

I scrunch my nose at him and laugh.

He presses a soft kiss to the tip of my nose and gets up out of bed. He throws some jeans and a t-shirt on. I climb out of bed too and get dressed for the day, trying to put in a little more of an effort than I normally would.

Peeta goes downstairs for a few minutes and minutes later, he surprises me as he wraps his arms around my waist and pulling me against him, his lips resting on my shoulder.

"What are you doing?" I snort and put my hands on his.

"Just making sure you don't put on any makeup for one."

I give him a look, "Why...?"

"Because I think you're absolutely beautiful without it. Plus, with your surprise, I don't think you'll want makeup on."

I sigh, "Just a little bit, please? For me to feel better. I won't put on a lot."

"I don't think you need makeup to look beautiful and you shouldn't either."