Chapter Twenty-Eight

Katniss POV- (About noon, January 23rd)

(On the phone)

"Hello?" I say nonchalantly.

"Is this Katniss Everdeen?"

"Yes." I say, my heart sinking.

"Are you or your mother available to come into the station today?"

"My mother is no longer in District Twelve. May I ask what this is all about?" I ask softly.

"We are reopening Primrose Everdeen's murder case. You are her sister, correct?"

"Yes." I mumble, my throat dry and choked.

Murder?

Prim wasn't murdered. We were told it was an accident. Sure, it was a hit and run but they never made it seem like more than some random occurrence and they never found who did it.

"I need you come down to the station immediately." He says.

I hang up and walk into the living room where Peeta is chasing Willow around.

"I'm gonna get you!" He says and chases her as she squeals and runs as fast as her little legs can take her.

She's got the walking thing down to a T.

"Peeta..." I choke out, hating to ruin their fun.

He turns and immediately knows something is wrong. He comes to his feet, "What's going on?" He asks.

I take a deep breath, "It's about Prim. The police called and I need to go talk to them." I stumble to get the words to come out of my mouth.

His expression falls flat, "Would you like me to go with you?"

"Yes, please." I say, feeling totally sick to myself.

When I was finally feeling content and happy again, they call me up after two years and rock my world again.

He comes over and grips my shoulder, giving it a soft squeeze, "Whatever happens, we will get through it." He assures me.

I nod my head, "I'm going to call Finnick to take Willow."

"We can drop her off on the way." Peeta says, rushing to get her diaper bag and pack some stuff she may need for the next few hours.

I find her trying to head into the downstairs bathroom but I stop her.

"Come here, baby girl." I say, scooping her up off the ground.

She looks carefree until she sees my expression and again, even for such a young thing, she knows exactly when something isn't right.

I put her in her carrier and Peeta and I head out.

We drop her off with Finnick and Annie and head to the station.

"Did they say what it was about?" Peeta asks on the way there.

I sigh, "They said that they needed to talk to me and my mom as soon as possible to discuss Prim's murder?" I say it as if I'm questioning it myself.

Which I am.

"Prim wasn't murdered. Or at least I never heard them even mention the possibility." He says, rambling on.

"Yeah. I know that, Peeta. I'm not sure what he was talking about. He said they were reopening the case. I thought they settled it all but I didn't know it was a murder case."

He frowns, "I mean technically, whether they did it intentionally or not, she was murdered."

He's right but just the way that it all sounds now, makes it sound much worse than it was. It makes me wish I would've been there to protect her better. There's got to have been something I could've done to stop it.