Chapter Ninety-Nine

Katniss POV-

"What is Peeta's cousin's name?" Bristol asks me.

"Mason." I say.

"He is a Mellark?"

I nod my head.

She looks away.

"Why?"

"I was just wondering. He saved us."

"I know."

Bristol sighs, "He kind of looks like Peeta, but he doesn't."

"Yeah, today was the first day I've ever met him."

"Oh. I didn't know that."

I shrug, "He was actually on his way to Twelve when he found y'all. It was weird, really. All of this happening at once and him being at the right place at the right time."

"The ambulance were telling Peeta and I how we would've been dead if we'd had to lay there another 10 minutes." Bristol says.

I frown, "Did they say what caused everything?"

She sighs, "I'm not sure what happened really besides that guy was driving straight for us and wasn't stopping. But I haven't talked to Peeta since before the accident."

"He said he doesn't know. Did they start an investigation? The police?" I ask.

"Some came last night and we told them our side but the only thing they said was that the man was dead."

I take a deep breath, "Peeta is gonna feel guilty, you watch. When we get home he's going to be devastated."

"It wasn't his fault."

"I know but you know how he is."

"I know, but it honestly wasn't anything he did and there wasn't anything he could really do. There were hills and drop offs with a bridge. If he would've swerved he would've gone off the bridge either way. It could've been so much worse."

I sigh, hating to think about it.

It makes me sick.

"I don't know what I would've done if either of you would've died. And I'm not trying to sound selfish at all."

"I know that."

"I guess I would've just lost it."

"You wouldn't have lost it, Katniss. Not for long anyways. You'd realize what you would have to do for Willow and Rye and even my kids. I know you too well."

"My mom probably thought she would've been able to take care of my sister and I but she lost it. I'm afraid of ending up like her."

"You wouldn't end up like her." She shakes her head.

I sigh, "I don't know."

"Well, don't even think about it because Peeta and I are both alive and we will be back on our feet soon."

I nod my head.

"Do you think Peeta will be okay?"

"What do you mean? His leg?"

"Yeah." I mumble.

She nods her head, "He will be fine, Katniss. I promise. You know he will be trying to go back to work and take care of you guys and still tend to anything you or Willow need, even if he is in pain."

"I know and I'm scared he's going to. He's gonna want me to calm down and expect me not to do anything because I'm pregnant."

"Just because you're pregnant doesn't mean you can't do anything."