Chapter Ninety-Eight

Katniss POV-

"Bristol?"

"Yeah, Kat?"

I take a deep breath and pull the letter from my pocket and hand it to her.

"Who's this from?"

"Blake." I say, my eyes not being able to meet hers.

Her face falls, "He left me, didn't he?"

I nod my head.

"That's why he didn't come?" She asks me softly.

"Yes." I choke out.

I'm so afraid she's going to be mad at me even though I didn't do anything but I am delivering the news.

"I'll read the stupid letter later. Will you please tell me what you know?"

I swallow hard, "I called when you guys didn't come home. To see if maybe he heard from you but he hadn't." I start.

She nods.

"He just kept acting like you and Peeta missing was nothing but Peeta's cousin called me to tell me about you guys. After I called Blake to see if maybe he'd want to go with me today to see y'all."

"And he said 'no'?" She asks.

"He just went right into something about you knowing he was cheating on you. Did you know?" I ask her.

Bristol nods her head, "I knew or I've been suspicious of it. I was actually going to discuss it with him when we got back but now I won't have to."

I take a deep breath, "He started in on Carter too, about how if she wasn't here he would stay."

Bristol's forehead creases in anger and her eyes narrow the floor.

"Of course he did."

I frown, I hate telling her these things but she needs to know.

"He said you being hurt was the perfect chance to leave and I was just about to beg him to let me take your girls. And I thought he'd be difficult and say I could only have Carter or not let me have either but I was surprised when he said I could take them both." I explain.

"Thank you for getting them for me." Bristol says gratefully, patting my hands.

"I knew that's all you cared about and that's all I cared about at the moment." I say 100% truthfully.

"So did you go get them or did he actually bring them over?"

I sigh, "He brought them over. It was about like I don't know, 11:30 by then. Anyways, he didn't even wait to see if they got inside. He sent Carter up holding Carson's hand and house keys and that letter and was gone." I tell her.

Bristol looks pissed, "Oh my God."

I nod, "Carter told me he said he was leaving because of her and she was really upset about it. Everything that's been going on got to her real bad."

"She usually holds it all in."

"I know. I'm the same way and so are you." I admit.

"Is she better today?"

"Much better. We all ended up getting some decent sleep too so it helped."

"Thank you so so much. I am sorry you and Peeta always seem to get in the middle of my relationship problems but I can assure you that I've already promised Peeta and myself that I was not dating anymore."

"Did Peeta tell you to do that?" I ask her.

She shakes her head, "We had a really long discussion. He just asked me not to until Carter was like 12, I think. But I think it's about time I realize that I have to be a mother and quit worrying about my love life. Peeta was right, I have two kids that love me just because I'm their mother."

I smile sadly, "Exactly."

Bristol sighs.

"Hey, I know you think Carter favors Peeta and I but she really truly loves you with her whole heart. It didn't occur to me until just now that she was probably only so upset because she was afraid Blake left because of her and that it would hurt you." I tell Bristol honestly.

I know that has to be the reason Carter was so upset about his words, besides the fact that this last week has probably been the worst of her life and that she's only 7 and she's experienced so much.

"It's not at all her fault and if he can't love me with Carter then he can't love me with Carson too." Bristol says.

I sigh.

"She understands too much for such a little girl." Bristol frowns.

"I know. Willow does too." I say truthfully.

It truly amazes me at how much Willow and Carter understand and have always understood being so small.

It is amazing but so sad the same.

***Blah I'm going to try to write another chapter today but I can't stay up late because I have a STAAR test tomorrow (Texas people will know what I'm talking about) but luckily it's for writing so it shouldn't be too bad. Anyways 3 more chapters! :)