Chapter Thirty-Five

Katniss POV- (That night)

"Willow, go get Daddy for dinner." I tell her softly and she runs into the living room and a few minutes later, they both walk into the kitchen.

I hold my breath and try to continue doing what I was doing, which was making plates I think.

I feel his hand on my shoulder and I completely freeze.

"Katniss. We need to talk later." Peeta mumbles in my ear and I nod. I hand him some food and then take my own plate and Willow's too to the table and we eat in silence, except for the little random screeching and squeals Willow makes. Yet again, not having a clue in the world as to what's really going on.

But I just can't stop thinking about how scared I am.

I have no idea what he wants to talk about or what his excuse will be for the last few months is either and I am so afraid of what it could be.

I don't think I've done anything lately to make him this upset so it has to be on his part but I'm not sure what it would be.

We finish eating and Willow is exhausted from the park and half asleep so I take her to bed, dreading what's about to take place. I leave her bedroom and go back down stairs where Peeta still sits and stares at his food.

I bite my bottom lip and sit down again, my heart racing and my head light and shaky.

We sit silently for the longest time.

I don't think it's ever been this awkward between us. And if it has, I don't remember it all that well.

I'm so mad at him but at the same time I am scared to death about what he's going to tell me or if he will even tell me at all. Maybe he's decided against whatever it is he was going to tell me.

So I decide to start the conversation.

"You wanted to talk to me?" I ask him quietly. So quietly I'm not sure if I actually said it or I was just thinking about saying it.

He sighs deeply, "I do."

I close my eyes, "Okay."

Peeta takes a deep breath, "I don't know what's gotten into me lately but I am at that point that just don't care, about anything again. I'm not sure why either."

My heart falls into the pit of my stomach.

He's depressed again.

"And it's not fair of me to be treating you and Willow badly so to cut to the chase, I was going to tell you that if you want me to leave, I can." Peeta says, his words choked.

Tears immediately start streaming down my cheeks and my mouth gapes open.

"I know that you've been miserable lately and really the last few years and I don't know what to do, Katniss. I just feel so completely helpless." He says.

I can't even look at him.

"Listen to me, I'm sorry. I know we were suppose to have our 'Forever and Always' and raise Willow together but it's no use if I'm never here. I can't quit or close because we've put a lot into that stupid place to do that and I know you won't let me." Peeta says and starts crying too.

I can't even speak.

"I just don't know what to do. I'm sick and tired of that place and I miss you both so much but I can't quit."

"You could hire other people! It doesn't just have to be you!" I raise my voice through the choking tears.

Peeta sighs, "No body wants to work in a stupid bakery, Katniss. I couldn't pay them enough, or I would've already hired someone." He says calmly.