Chapter Seventy-One

Katniss POV-

"Gosh, I missed you so much." I say happily as we get in the car.

Peeta smiles, "I missed you too." He says.

I can tell by the look on his face he's nervous about something.

"What's wrong?" I ask him.

"Nothing. Well, nothing really. I need to tell you a few things."

"What?" I ask him, preparing for the worst.

Peeta takes a really deep breath, "You want to hear the bad thing or the bad but not as bad?"

"Just tell me." I say nervously, getting the urge to puke.

"Okay, so the night you left, Willow slept with me."

"I know."

"And earlier I guess she and Carter were talking about her grandma. Then when we went to bed Willow asked me about our families. She asked why she didn't have grandparents that are our parents." He says nervously.

"I told her that we didn't see them anymore, like you usually tell her but she asked our families were dead and that's why we didn't see them anymore."

I cock my head at him, "What did you tell her?"

"I told her that they were all dead except your mom." He says.

"Peeta-" I groan.

I didn't want her to know about my mother.

"I'm sorry, Katniss but I had to tell her the truth. She asked if your mother loved you and her and I told her that she loved you both and was afraid of hurting you both, so that's why she doesn't come around." He explains, his voice shaky.

I sigh, "You know I didn't want her to know about her being alive. What if she wants to see her?"

"She didn't even ask. The only other thing she said about that was that the only thing hurting you guys was because she didn't want to see you guys. I wouldn't have told her anything but she knows, Katniss she might be five but she understands things like that."

"But I didn't want her to know yet and when she did I wanted to be there." I say kind of angrily.

"I'm sorry. And by the way if you'resf at me for that it just confirms my suspicions about the next thing I need to talk to you about." He says.

"Peeta, what else did you do?"

"I told Carter about Brandon." He says bluntly.

"What?" I ask him angrily.

"You and I both know Willow are Carter understand things most kids their age don't. That's the reason I did it. They both asked me questions and seemed to have it all figured out, they just wanted closure." He says defensively.

"Peeta, telling Willow things is different but you had no business telling Carter about her dad."

Bristol is probably going to be so mad.

Just what we needed.

"I know that Katniss but let me explain and you tell be you wouldn't have done the same thing."

I groan and let him continue, hoping he has a really good reason because Bristol will want one.

"Willow and Carson were sleeping and Carter was still awake so she started talking to me. She came right out and asked if Blake was her dad."

"So decided to tell her the whole truth?" I say rolling my eyes.

"Let me finish." He says, "I said, 'I think so' and she explained about how she found this picture of her, Bristol and a man who wasn't Blake. She told me how she doesn't think she looks like Blake either. Then she said how she's overheard them talking about telling her something." He explains.