Chapter Forty

Katniss POV- (November)

"Katniss Everdeen?" I here an all too familiar bitchy voice from behind.

I turn around and see her with her flock of girls.

Gretta.

A girl who too often bullied me for my relationship with Peeta.

You'd think they would've stopped doing that in high school, let alone doing it in the market three years later.

"Actually, it's Mellark now." I say suddenly so insecure and weak feeling.

Their eyes find Willow who is in the basket, too busy playing with my car keys to notice what's going on.

"Oh. It is, isn't it?" Gretta says laughing.

I roll my eyes, "Yes. It's been that way for nearly two years."

"Surprisingly. Well, he probably felt bad when he got you pregnant the first time, we know how soft Peeta is." She says.

I scoff, "Like you know Peeta that well. You just like his looks, you don't know the real Peeta."

"So you're saying the real Peeta wouldn't have stayed with you after he knocked you up?"

"No. The real Peeta would've stayed but he wouldn't have knocked me up and he didn't until after we were married."

"Sure. How old is this one?" She asks, her green eyes glaring at me.

She knows I'm right about Peeta.

They don't know him. They know he's attractive and treats people well.

That's about it.

"She's one. About to be two in a few months." I say quietly.

"Where's the other one? You know, your secret kid. The kid that you and Peeta secretly had and the only reason you two are still together to this day." Gretta scowls, looking down at Willow who looks up at her.

"She is the only kid we have and she was born after we got married, you idiot." I say rolling my eyes.

"Yeah, says the biggest whore in our class. Did you get married because you were pregnant?"

I roll my eyes, "No. If you were that important to us you'd know when we got married and that she was born almost a year later."

"Yeah, well whatever. She's probably just a bastard kid like the other one."

You can call me names, fine but do not call my innocent child names without hearing something back.

I get into her face and her stupid friends come closer.

"Fuck you." I say, my teeth gritted and my fist balled up.

I have to keep it together so I don't get kicked out of the damn grocery store, or scare Willow.

She puts her hand on my wrist and I yank it away.

"Listen here, you bitch. You're just lucky you got pregnant and that Peeta felt bad for you because if not he would've left your ugly ass years ago. I'm surprised he didn't when he found out you were going to have his babies." She laughs in my face.

"Yeah, you're so ugly. I'm surprised he would even fuck you. We all know that's all you two did in high school, it just took that one time and you got pregnant. Slut." A girl named Kacey says.

I look back at Willow and see she's realized something's going on and I know I should probably keep my mouth shut now and move on but I don't.

"Yeah, I'm the big slut. I've been with one guy my entire life and I married him before we slept together and now we have a kid. Such a slut." I say, holding back angry tears.