Chapter Eighty-Eight

Katniss POV- (That Saturday)

"Do you know what day it is?" Peeta asks me softly as he walks down the stairs.

I turn around and back, flipping the tv off.

"Yeah, I know." I mumble.

"I'm sorry, baby." I say frowning as he plops down next to me on the couch.

I pull him into a hug and hold him against me.

"Shhh. It's okay." I tell him softly and run my fingers through his short blonde hair.

"I just miss him so much."

"I know that you do and I miss him too."

He cries harder.

"Peeta, please stop crying. You're gonna make me cry." I say truthfully, feeling my eyes sting.

"I'm not trying to cry. I don't even know why I am crying, Katniss. I haven't cried before on his birthday but this year I feel so sad."

I sigh and kiss the top of his head, not knowing what to say.

"Last night I was thinking about how one year when I was eleven, I tried making my dad a cake for his birthday. It was the first cake I had ever made without anyone helping me and I forgot to add flavors to the mix so the cake tasted like flour and frosting." He starts.

"And what happened after?" I ask him softly.

"My dad, he just laughed, thanked me and ate it anyways." Peeta explains to me, laughing and crying at the same time.

I smile sadly, "That's sweet, Peeta and so adorable of you." I tell him truthfully. 

More tears stream down his cheeks.

"And I remember another year that we spent his birthday with my grandparents at the ranch and brother and their children came out too. It was a lot of fun. My mom was mad at him so she didn't come."

"I didn't know you had an uncle." I say.

"Yeah. We never really saw them much because everyone hated my mom."

I try to hide a face but he sighs.

"I know. You don't blame them and I don't either."

"It's not that."

"No, I know, Katniss." Peeta says wiping his nose on his sleeve.

"Do you know where any of them are now?" I ask him curiously.

I had no idea he had any family left but his grandparents.

I don't have anyone but my mom that I know of.

"Not really, I haven't seen them since I was maybe 14. My uncle is in District 2 or something and their kids are down there too. I think one of my cousins is in Nine."

"Did you get along?"

"Yeah, he is a little older than me but he always saved me from my brothers and his own brothers when they would pick on us. But it's been so long I doubt he would remember me if I ever did see him."

"We should try to find him, or any of your family that's left." I suggest.

"Katniss, I'm fine with the people we have in our lives now. Are there any surprise family members you have that I don't know about?"

I shake my head.

"I'm sorry, I'm not trying to sound rude but I just love our life without having anyone but Rye to join the mix."