Chapter Sixty-Eight

Peeta POV- (Late that night)

"Uncle Peeta?" Carter asks me out of the blue, taking her eyes off the television for the first time in a while.

Willow is snoring and Carson is in my lap asleep, Carter on the opposite side of me, had her head laying on the arm of the couch, I actually thought she was nearly asleep.

I look over, "Yeah?"

"Is my Daddy really my Daddy?" She asks me softly, sounding as if she's been in deep thought about the question for a while now.

My heart sinks and I wonder if I should tell her the truth or not.

But if I lie I don't know what it will make her think of me in the future when she finds out that Blake is not really her dad.

I want her to always trust me, just the way I want Willow too as well and Carson and Finn too. And the new baby when it gets older.

I swallow hard, "Yeah, I think so."

"Because I don't look like him and one day I founded a picture of my Momma and me when I was a baby with a different guy. And it wasn't my dad. It was someone else." She tells me, confused looking.

Poor kid.

She's six years old and asking me this.

I know it's not my place to tell her anything about Brandon but I feel like she deserves to know, even if she's only 6 years old. She obviously knows something about it or has her suspicions.

If Bristol gets mad with me for it she will just have to be mad at me because I can't lie to Carter about something this big.

I think a few minutes before deciding to do it completely, Carter obviously getting frustrated with me and herself. 

"Sweetheart, I am gonna tell you the truth but you don't need to be upset about it or anything, okay?"

"Okay." She says nodding her head.

I take a deep breath and try to decide how to put this all without making it sound as awful as it was.

I start from the beginning since she really doesn't know just how far we go back.

"Katniss and I met your Mommy when we were only 18 and in college and your Mommy had a boyfriend." I start.

Carter nods her head.

"A few months later they got married and they told us that they were gonna have you." I say.

She smiles a little.

"You moved to District 12 when you were only one day old. Did you know that?"

Her eyes get big, "Really?"

"Yep. Right after you were born, Aunt Katniss, your Mommy and I all drove from District 5 to District 12 with you and did you know Aunt Katniss was the first person to ever hold you?" I tell her.

"Aw. Were was my Daddy?"

"He was at work far away so he couldn't be there." I say softly.

She nods nonchalantly, not really bothered by it.

"You use to stay with Aunt Katniss and I so so much that everyone really thought you were our baby." I say, trying to put a lightening on the mood.

Carter laughs a little, "Where was Willow? Where was Willow at?"

I smile, "We didn't have Willow because Aunt Katniss and I weren't married yet. But we got married when you were one month old and you came to our wedding and slept the whole time." I tease her, chuckling.