Chapter Forty-Nine

Katniss POV (The next afternoon)

"I really hope we get pregnant soon, Peeta."

"I know you do and so do I."

I sigh, "Do you think we should call? What if something's wrong?"

"I don't think anything is wrong but if you want we could call now?" Peeta says.

I nod and I grab his phone, and dial the number.

(On the phone with the obstetrician's office)

"Dr. Coles." She says addressing herself.

"This is Katniss." I say nervously.

"Oh, Katniss! I was going to call you tomorrow morning, I need to talk to you and Peeta about what's going on."

I frown, "I'm not pregnant?"

She sighs hesitantly, "No."

My heart sinks, "Okay. Um, is there anything wrong?"

"Well, not really. That is what I need to talk to you about tomorrow if you could."

I frown, "Are you busy now or can't you just tell us over the phone? We've been worried sick." I beg her.

"I am not busy. We are closed on Thursdays, remember? I'm here working, so that's why I answered the phone. You can certainly come by if you'd like to discuss it now."

I turn to Peeta and ask him and he of course, agrees. We call Johanna and she agrees to watch Willow until we get back, no questions asked and we head over there.

When we get there, the door is locked but Dr. Coles is at the front desk. When she sees us she comes over and let's us in.

"Hello. Katniss, Peeta." She says.

I smile nervously and Peeta does too. Then she leads us over to the waiting area.

"We will just talk right here, there's really no need to go back there. I have your results for everything we tested for recently." She says pulling a piece of paper off the counter, it has a bunch of information and numbers on it.

Peeta and I nervously sit down and he takes my hand.

Dr. Coles sits down too, "Well, you're not showing any signs of pregnancy yet, well, as of last week. Have you guys tried anymore since?"

"No." Peeta says.

"The results are negative."

"What is wrong then?" I ask.

She sighs, "You have a history of kidney infections, correct?"

"Yes."

"You have another one right now. That could be a cause, that's what I am guessing is the cause. But besides that, everything else came back perfectly fine."

"Besides the fact that I am not pregnant?" I say kind of rudely, but disappointed.

"Yes. But if we can rid you of those infections and make sure you don't get anymore, then Mellark Baby #2 should be on their way soon."

"Well, how do we do that? I've had them forever. They're always happening obviously, I don't even notice them much anymore then. I even had them when I was pregnant with Willow, why is it now that I can't get pregnant?" I ask her.

"I'm not sure. It's been five years, Katniss. You know things can change and your body's way of working could've too. You're very prone to them for some reason but we are gonna start you up on some medicine to help that for now and I want you drinking nothing but water. Peeta, you need to be sure she's drinking at least 8 or more cups of water daily." She says.