Chapter Ninety-Six

Peeta POV- (The next day)

"Why did you come? I told you not to come." I say, crying as I see Katniss walk through the door.

She looks like she's been crying all night and knowing her, she probably has.

Katniss rushes over to me and wraps her arms around me, crying into my chest.

"I love you so much." She cries hysterically, leaning up to kiss the little bruises on my cheek.

I feel tears falling down my own face, "I'm so sorry, I don't know what happened. I am sorry you didn't know earlier when it happened but the storms were so bad, we couldn't get ahold of you." I tell her, holding her shaky body to me.

Before Mason showed up, I was afraid I wouldn't get to see my girls again or be there to meet my son.

"I was so mad because you wouldn't answer your phone. I was so worried." She cries.

I sigh, "I don't think I have a phone anymore. Or a car." I add.

"We will get you a new phone and a new car." She says.

"I can wait. It's gonna cost a lot of money to get me this surgery I'm going to need." I reveal to her.

"You have to have a surgery?" Katniss asks me worriedly, taking my hands in hers.

"Yes, but I will be just fine." I assure her, even though I am in some of the worst pain I have been in my life.

She leans down and presses her lips to mine, running her fingers through my hair.

"You scared me to death." Katniss sobs.

"I know. I am so sorry." I say truthfully.

All night long I dreamt of her and Willow and Rye.

I know it scared her terribly and that she must've been going crazy all day and night.

And I really didn't want her to come because of the risks but I expected she would either way. 

Katniss is always here when I need her no matter what the circumstance, she's always there for me.

"I love you so much, Katniss. I love you, don't ever forget that." I mumble into her ear and kiss her cheek repeatedly.

I hold her close to me for a long time, I feel Rye moving around against my chest where her belly is and I cry harder.

I wrap my arms around her waist and press my lips against her swollen belly, so glad that I am not dead.

"I love you so much, Rye." I say softly and kiss her belly repeatedly as she cries.

"I don't know what I would've done if you would have died." She chokes out.

"You would have kept your promises to me and taken care of Willow and Rye." I say truthfully.

Exactly what Bristol was talking about right before the crash.

Katniss stays sane for Willow's sake, really even to this day.

"I didn't want you to miss his appointment either and you did." I say.

She takes a deep breath, "I am sorry, I had to come. I will reschedule."

"But I wanted to know as soon as possible and so did you."

"Okay but that was before you were almost killed." She nearly snaps.

I sigh, "I didn't do it on purpose."

She frowns and takes my hands again, crying, "It wasn't your fault, Peeta. None of this was your fault."

I shrug, "I feel like it is."