Chapter Seventy-Nine

Katniss POV- (A week later, 1:45am)

"Katniss, get off me, sweetheart." Peeta whispers to me.

I open my heavy eyes and look around, confused.

"Get up." He says softly.

I release his hands that were wrapped around my waist and holding mine. I get off his lap and I sit then back down where he was, confused as to what's going on.

Peeta walks around the dark room, flipping a lamp on and then he opens the front door.

"Peeta." I hear my mother's voice.

My heart begins to race.

"Hey, come on in." Peeta says politely, awkwardly.

My mother steps in and my eyes are the first thing she sees. Peeta closes the door, "Come sit down." He says motioning to the couches.

They walk around and Peeta sits next to me and my mother sits on the other couch, distanced from us.

There's an awkward and a tensioned silence. And I'm just now realizing what's happening.

"So... How have you been?" Peeta asks her awkwardly.

"Fine. Fine. How about you all?" She asks us.

"We've been great. The bakery is doing awesome and Willow is in school so Katniss gets a lot more free time, which I'm sure she enjoys." He laughs a little, nervous sounding.

"Oh, I didn't know she was old enough to be in school or that you opened a bakery."

"She's turning six tomorrow and we opened the bakery when she was like one." I mumble uncomfortably and lean against Peeta. I open my mouth and speak before I realize the words and the tone I'm using.

I pull the blanket up over my stomach, shielding my now 4 month pregnant belly. I'm defiantly beginning to show and I do not intend to tell my mother about the baby at least until tomorrow.

I wouldn't tell her at all but I know someone will bring it up at Willow's party, if she doesn't notice it herself.

"I didn't think kids started school until they were six." My mom says.

I roll my eyes, wishing she would leave already.

"How is District 1?" Peeta asks.

"Good." She says simply.

I stare at the floor as Peeta shifts uncomfortably beside me, putting his hand on my arm and I intertwine our fingers.

I feel my blood boiling as we sit in silence.

"How is everything here?"

I look at Peeta to answer because I refuse.

"Uh-it's wonderful, actually. All of our friends are here and there's three kids for Willow to play with so she loves it too. I think Katniss and I can agree it's the best place for us." Peeta says softly.

"I'm glad you are so happy here." She says looking down at the floor.

I glance at Peeta and he shrugs his shoulders.

"Okay, before we go any further with this can I just apologize to you both?"

I freeze and Peeta nods his head a little.

"Katniss, I love you so much and I'm sorry for the last 16 years." She says, looking me right in the eyes.

I don't know what to say so I don't say anything and neither does Peeta.