It's Been Awhile

It barely took you a few minutes before you were frowning to yourself, wondering why you were doing this again.

I'm starting to think I'm too nice.

You thought to yourself, (e/c) eyes checking to see if the marines were still trying to find the Straw Hats that somehow disappeared from view before you used Kamisori to go into the Tower where Lucci was.

You managed to gather Kaku and Kalifa too, them being conscious as you deposited them onto your boat. Wondering why you were here only for you to tell them to be quiet and if they spot the others, to try to signal them to come to your boat. Kaku's eyes assessing with a frown that shouldn't be there with Kalifa seeming to be in thought when you stated you're going towards Lucci, hand keeping the blanket covering her bare form(you didn't even want to know what happened with that). Eyes behind glasses regarding you before hiding a smile behind her hand, which you didn't pay attention to as you moved on.

Why am I doing this? Really...

You thought as you landed by Lucci's unconscious body. Before you picked him up, you noticed the scar on his tanned back. The one that was practically a brand of the World Government symbol and still the only scar he's gotten based on what you can tell from his upper half alone.

It was less scarred then before. You reaching a hand towards it, to actually feel it's smoothness compared to before only to pull back.

You only smiling wryly, you touching your own scar on your left cheek in memory instead.

You though of a cream left outside a door. To heal and restore. To say bye.

He's been using it. That damn proud and sadistic cat actually has been using that cream you gave to him long ago.

"Heh..." You couldn't help but release, eyes behind your cap being half lidded and enigmatic. "You...really are a bastard..."

You picked him up gently, not wanting to move him that much because of his bloody injuries, throwing his arm around your shoulder and keeping a hand on his waist. You heard him growl, you glanced at him to see his eyes half lidded and open. Staring at you.

Those eyes.

He's asking why again.

You know he is. He's given that look to you before when the both of you were still a team. When the both of you were partners. Just two young teenagers that became young adults, stuck together whether they wanted to or not.

When you were still in CP9.

The organization that causes you to wake up with a cold sweat, tears threatening to fall as a result of your nightmares. Still to this day, that makes the space under your eyes look a tad more sunken at times. Learning to live with little sleep.

The organization that made your mind and memories a blur each time you looked at your hands, those bloody hands. Those, those very bloody hands. That would stick with red and stunk of copper and it felt as if your mouth was coated with it when you would bite your tongue. To not talk back. To keep your mouth shut or everything you wanted will go down to the shithole and everything you did at that point would've been for naught if you spoke up.

The organization that made you realize how the world works.

But...

Despite all of this...

You thought of the odd conversations you had with the other members, them having small smiles and smirks. While others gave big chortles or huge laughs. Of odd haiku's that made no sense, of feeding the watchdog's because "they're hungry!", of gossip not quite being whispered to your ear but a loud mutter, of a manicured hand around a martini glass and words of being a woman assassin, of a irritated expression when the purple booger mentioned hating baseball, of a ship in a bottle hidden in a room not quite under the bed as if ashamed but not wishing to be. The times where you actually let out those rare smiles, and chuckles. With Lucci smirking next to you. Even if it was sadistically.