Humiliating Defeat

"Say...have you ever lost someone?" You looked at him from your sitting form. Ace keeping his gaze onto the night horizon that was before them. Both of them unable to sleep, well one.

Yourself.

You raised an eyebrow at him, a slightly amused(fake) smirk on your lips as you gazed at the still standing man who was gazing towards the sky from their perch of a cliff they found at this island not far from the village.

"What's with that question?"

Ace's lips twitched down, his eyes sliding towards yours.

"You get this look in your eye sometimes
(Y/N)...and sometimes I get worried. You don't have to answer if you don't—"

"My mother." You cut in. Ace widened his eyes, then gave a small nod as he came to sit besides you with a heavy sigh. Rubbing the back of his neck.

"Was she...nice?" The raven haired man awkwardly asked.

Your smile softened, your eyes distant as you thought about the past.

"She was the best mother anyone could ask for." Ace's eyes looked at you, seeming to want you to go on with what seemed to be like a need to know.

"She hummed and sang Bink's Sake to me when I was a kid. Instead of from a pirate, I learned it from her. She helped me with ignoring about the rest of the town said about me, about us", you added strongly, Ace listening intensely. "Even when she got sick, she was the one that helped me pull through and did her best to make me happy. Even with the unsteady income we had from my father."

Your smile disappeared as you looked down.

"And then she died when I was six. I was alone with no one, ashamed of the blood within me."

"She sounded amazing."

You glanced up to see Ace with a gentle smile and caring eyes.

"You're not ashamed of your father now huh? ...it's a little weird." He commented with a sudden frown.

"Yeah, I guess it is huh? But I need to find him. He's somewhere in this sea. I want to meet the man that my mom couldn't stop talking about when I was a kid."

Ace looked away, his gaze back towards the dark horizon, seeming to be in thought.

You frowned, suspicious about his actions throughout your explanation.

"...say...I know you said you told me you were raised by bandits, but does that mean—?"

"I was orphaned since birth."

You shut your mouth up at that, moving your eyes to look at the way the moon seemed to kiss the sea. That explained how he was so curious about how your mother was, and how odd he acted.

It was silent for a few moments, both of them watching the sea as it moved calmly with its waves. A bit of sea breeze touching their faces.

"That's why I only see Whitebeard as my father."

You glanced at him, waiting for him to continue as Ace continued to look towards the ocean with clenched eyes.

"I'm grateful for my mother for having the name that I have. But I'll never thank HIM for anything. My father is and will always be Whitebeard."

Silence again went between them, and then you reached towards your friends shoulder. He looked up with a frown and tight eyes, looking at your own understanding ones.