Always

A week passed since the 'incident', the incident you've been able to keep hidden. No one thought much of the disappearance of the old man from their village it seems. Hearing whispers and talks that the old man was always distant from them, and probably just decided to live separate from them within the jungle of the island. Others saying he must've died in their original island, although others were positive they saw him. Despite this, you've kept quiet. And kept acting like normal with the villagers, Shanks, and his crew. Not giving anything away as you just smiled and laughed amongst them when they told stories. Stories of a young boy in East Blue they sometimes visit.

You always felt Shanks looked at you however, when you would force a smile or grin. You tried your best to ignore it, saying to yourself that there's no way he can look through you so easily. Saying to yourself...that you wish you can tell him what happened. But you wouldn't. And eventually Shanks completely let it go, only giving you random two armed hugs when you felt down from either past memories when his crew or villagers asked, or when you happened to be forcing cheerful expressions upon your face.

It was nice. Comforting. Warm.

But somehow...something was missing. Something wrong.

It was today when you were now nearly fully healed and the time for the Red Hairs to nearly leave the once uninhabited that was now full of happy villagers back to an island in the East Blue, did you figure out what you must do.

What you want to do actually. But mostly what you must.

You finally found that missing piece. You were now atop Shanks ship, at his request, waving at the villagers along with the crew in goodbye.

"See you next time!" Shanks laughed, waving with a grin.

"Make sure you guys are living well, alright?!" Yasopp yelled, hand in a thumbs up towards them.

"Mfgtggg! Byfe everyfoon!" Lucky Roo spoke around his piece of meat, waving back and forth in eagerness.

Benn simply gave a calm smile and a peace sign, smoke curling around him from his cigarette as he looked out towards the villagers. While the other crew members just waved and shouted their goodbyes as well.

"Bye everyone! Thanks for everything!" You waved, a grin on your face. You spotted the young child who defended you, and who you saved in... that mission. He was waving and jumping at you wildly, a wide and thankful smile on his face.

"I-I'll never forget you!" The boy sniffled, emotion in his voice as he rubbed his tears eyes. "Thank you so much for everything (Y/N)! THANK YOU!" He cried, eyes on you as he waved. Your expression softened and you felt your heart move.

"And I will never forget you," you began, your own eyes starting to tear, "thank you for what you've done! Become a great man someday, you hear me?!" The boy nodded furiously, and soon the ship was too far to see the villagers and the island off into the distance. You were still staring at the island, leaning against the ship's edge on the main deck, a faraway look in your eyes until you felt a presence next to yours. You turned your head to see Shanks next to you, a grin on his face as he scratched the back of his neck.

"I know this may be a little late but," he put his hand down, and leaned down next to you on the ship's edge, warm eyes on you with a close eyed soft smile that made your cheeks warm, "since you're already here, why don't you join my crew?"