18. Revisiting the Past

Alec's P.O.V

I saw her expression when Martha mocked her, she was revisiting her past.

She was so scared that she started shaking, for a moment I thought that she will pass out because her face was as pale as milk. I wanted so badly to take her in my arms and never let go, however much I may hate her but by looking at her, I know one thing for sure: I will always protect her even if I don't accept her as my mate, no harm will ever befall her.

She excused herself from the kitchen with shaking legs.

"Take care of her Alec, from what I just saw, something so dark has happened in her past that it is diminishing the light of her present." Martha said in a motherly voice.

Martha was like a mother to me. I knew her since she was in her 30's, she took care of me like I was her own son. She didn't marry because she thought that I needed her more than she needed a husband, not that she didn't had one. She lost her husband a few days before joining me in the castle. She had said at that time, that she would be cheating her husband if she married once again.

I don't see any sense in that and whenever I asked her, she said that it was called love and that I would understand it, when I fall for my mate.

So not going to happen.

Martha was not human either, she decided to become one. She was a witch before but opted to turn human once her love of life died. She can't live for an eternity without her love of life.

I nodded my head at her and went out of the kitchen to follow Elisa.

She was with Master Gilfred.

I greeted him and he carried on his way after introducing him to Elisa.

She asked me if there was anyone else whom she haven't met and then carried on her way without even looking at me.

I want her to stay with me.

"What happened in the kitchen, Elisa?" I asked her.

She stopped but didn't turn around to face me.

"W-what do you mean?" She stuttered.

I went behind her and placed one hand on her shoulder to turn her around.

She kept her head down, but I know that her eyes were already filled with tears.

I tilted her cheek up, "Tell me." I said softly.

Those words crumbled her resolve and she dashed into my arms and began crying.

I hated tears yet her cries were crushing my dead heart, how much has she gone through? She's so small and innocent, how could someone break her so much? I wanted nothing more than to crush that person who hurt my delicate flower so much. The urge to protect her grew more in me.

"I will always protect you from the harm, from the pain Elisa. I promise you." I said to her and tightened my hold on her.

I stroked her silky hair to calm her down. Honestly, I don't know how to calm down someone who's crying because I've never did this in my past. No one dared to show their tears in front of me because they knew what would happen if I caught them crying.

But my trick seemed to work on her because she was becoming silent as more minutes passed.

Finally she pulled herself back, I kissed her forehead as if sealing my promise of protecting her.

She looked so tired, without a word I picked my feather up in my arms and began making my way towards my room.

She's going to stay with me from now on, even I don't know the reason why I wanted her in my room.