A furry friend - John one shot x- reader

Sherlock, John and I were on some sort of trip. It had been John's idea and I agreed, Sherlock had come with us reluctantly. It seemed to be fun to me at first, but I had been feeling tired, sad and sick for days which made the trip less fun. John was determined to make me happy again. For days I had been in some sort of fog of melancholy and stayed inside the little house we had hired. 'Come on,' John said to me as I stared at the book I was holding in bed without really reading it, 'get up immediately: we're going outside.' I looked at him with weary eyes. 'What?' I asked. 'Go outside? Now?' John nodded. 'Yeah, immediately.' I looked away. 'I don't want to go.' I answered. John sat down on the side of my bed and carefully took the book out of my hands. He took one of my cold hands inside both his warm ones and caressed my fingers. 'You're not well, but not ill either. Go outside with me, I'm sure some extra oxygen will do you good.' I smiled at him. 'Thank you for concerning so much but it's not needed.' I tried since I really didn't fancy going outside in the cold right now. John rose. 'You're going with me, whether you want or not. I know it will do you good and will not rest until you're outside. Now, this is what I'm going to do: I'll be in the living room for ten minutes, after those ten minutes I'll come back here and take you with me. 'He said and walked out, closing the door as he left. 'But,' I shouted, 'what if I'm still in my pyjama?!' I heard an 'I don't care' coming from downstairs and feared that my ten minutes had already started. Knowing John always means every single word he says, I reluctantly got up to dress and brush my teeth.

Of course I didn't finish in ten minutes, but John gave me some extra time when he saw I was out of bed. I took all the time I needed, hoping it would make our trip a bit shorter. But eventually, unfortunately, I was ready. John took my hand in one of his and opened the door with the other. We left Sherlock inside. He sort of wanted to come with us but John forbade him to since he would get on my nerves and that would do my health no good. So we went outside, just the two of us. I hated the cold wind in my face and cursed John for bringing me outside. Grumpily, I walked next to him in silence. But my mood changed quickly: I noticed we were walking towards the forest and I had always loved the wild life in the woods. 'Look at that.' John said and pointed at an oak tree where a little squirrel was running on in circles. A smile appeared on my face and John noticed it. It seemed to have pleased him. We walked on further, encountering more squirrels and little rabbits on our way. My smile brightened with every animal we spotted and luckily this forest was full of them.

I had the strange urge to give names to the animals, so John and I had little arguments about the proper name for a rabbit. Eventually I won and we called a little white rabbit McTwisps. I breathed in the fresh air with my eyes closed, enjoying the extra oxygen that was my remedy. A song came up in my head and I suddenly started to sing. I ran through the forest, avoiding the trees and listening to the birds. I turned and turned, smiling brightly.

The fresh air, the birds singing, the little organisms and the sun coming through the roof made of leaves made me feel whole again. But above all, the most powerful remedy to my melancholy was John's laughter as he saw me dancing through the woods, scaring animals away and bumping into trees. That sound was so peaceful and calm yet joyful; I couldn't do anything but feel better. The kind look in his eyes calmed me as I returned to him, grabbed his hand and danced without music. John sweetly hummed a song to dance on. Although I wasn't much of a dancer -my dance moves are truly terrible- I still enjoyed it. But the fun ended when we heard a loud growl coming from behind us. I looked behind at once. Nothing. 'Did you hear that?' I asked. 'Yes,' John said, 'some sort of growl, right?' I nodded. 'Maybe we should go back.' I tried. 'Nonsense, I want to know what's out there. Let's go.' John said and started walking. I followed, wondering what it could have been. Another growl, louder this time, proofed us we were walking in the right direction. Then, we found it. It was a bear lying on the ground. Its eyes were open and he stared at us and made a soft, begging sound.