Moriarty one shot x reader - How to overcome your fear

How to overcome your fear, Jim Moriarty as your personal teacher.

-------------------------

I closed and locked the door behind me and screamed: 'I'm home!' before throwing my bag on the ground. I threw the keys on the little table in the hall and started to free myself from the tight coat I was wearing. It had been a cold and tough day and I had never been so glad to be home again. I slowly walked towards the living room where I found Jim sitting on the couch, watching TV. He was smiling with a new, dreamy look in his eyes. It made him look prettier and I caught myself smiling as I briefly forgot my awful day and the irritation it had given me.

Oh, no, wait; it's back.

'Hey there.' I said grumpily and sat down next to him. 'Hi, already back?' He asked me and I nodded slightly. I wanted Jim to wrap his arms around me and hold me closely, to rub the cold, that seemed to have made a home inside my bones, out of me and to tell me, whatever had happened, it will be alright. Luckily, he seemed to have noticed how I felt and responded with exactly that what I had asked for. I nestled my head against his shoulder and snuggled up to him.

'What's the matter with you?' He asked me.

'Have you ever felt like punching people in the face?' I asked him.

'Plenty of times... Actually,' he started grinning, 'all the time.' He then admitted. 'Except when I'm with you of course.' Jim quickly added when he saw me look at him weirdly.

'Well, you know that insufferable know-it-all at work?' I asked and he nodded. 'You've told me a lot about her.'

'Well, she was criticizing me and my work, which I had put lots of effort in, and I just felt like either crying or punching her in the face.' I explained.

'And did you hit her?' He asked.

'No.'

'Why not? I would've done it.' Jim said and looked at me with an interested look on his face. 'Well,' I started, 'I was afraid that sh-'

Moriarty hushed me. 'Just what I thought. You were afraid. You had fear. You shouldn't have fear, love. Here, look at those people.' He pointed at the television screen. 'Do you think those people let fear come in their way?'

The television showed people who jumped out of planes and made their way down to earth, while screaming like madmen. It looked like they were having fun in it, but I shivered at the thought of falling down such height.

'They seem to have found some fun in suicide.' I said as I looked at the jumpers. 'Suicide?' He chuckled. 'I'd like to do that once.'

I looked at him with fright in my eyes. 'You'd like to commit suicide?!' I said with a voice higher than usually.

'No, no. Don't worry!' He said, 'I'd like to jump off a cliff at least once in my life. I mean, those people jump of planes, but they have parachutes, than it's not much of a deal.'

I already thought him to be crazy, but this was the craziest thing I've ever heard. 'Well, jump if you want to, but I'm not doing that in my life.' I assured him. 'Not even if I'd want you to?' He asked me with a low voice and moved his head closer to me. His nose touched mine and I felt his hand resting on my waist, returning the warmth in my body at once.

'No,' I said, 'not even then.' I gave him a peck on his cheek and rose.

'Don't even try.'

---------- A week later----------

It was pretty windy but at least it was dry and the sun shone kindly. I smiled back at it and at the man walking beside of me, holding my hand and pinching it so now and then. My spare hand was casually in my pocket. The wind played with my hair and pushed it in my eyes. Jim stroke the locks away with his free hand and pushed them behind my ear. It had been my idea to go hiking and Jim really wanted to go to this particular place so now we were here, viewing the wonderful nature. Little did I know what Jim had planned for me to do.

We walked on until Jim suddenly started to cheer like a child. 'Let's head this way! We'll have a wonderful sight on the ocean there, come on!' He cheered and I ran along with him, not knowing what would follow.

We ran and ran on until I saw the blue spot that was the ocean become bigger and bigger. I stopped suddenly and kept Jim from moving any further. 'Stop!' I shouted in fear. 'Stop! We're at the edge of a cliff!'

I looked down at my feet. I had stopped on just the right moment, my feet were still on the ground, but the edge of my toes was on the same line as the edge of the cliff. Beyond that was the deep, dark-blue ocean with the waves roaring wildly and spreading white foam everywhere. I breathed too fast and held Jim with all my power away from the edge of the cliff. Carefully, I took steps back, away from the danger.

'It was your plan to go here, precisely here. You wanted to jump, to fall down a cliff.' I said calmly. He nodded. 'Yes, I did.'

'ARE YOU MAD?!' I shouted it even louder than the waves growled. 'DO YOU REALLY THINK I WOULD WANT THAT?!' I continued.

'My dear, you must overcome your fear or you will never feel freedom.' Jim said. 'I can perfectly feel free without jumping of cliffs, but thank you for your unwanted help.' I said. 'Wouldn't you have felt relieved when you punched that girl in the face? Fear kept you from doing that.' He tried but I started to walk away from the cliff, assuring my safety with every step I took.

Suddenly, I felt a hand around my wrist and felt how I was pushed into the direction of doom. Before I could do anything to stop it, I felt the ground under my feet disappear.

I was falling.

Down, down, down I went. I'm going to die. I will be killed by the waves and there's nothing I can do to survive. My scream was hushed by the wind and the waves. I feared the cold water that would hit me sooner or later, but most of all I feared the landing of my fall. I feared the way my head would hit the water and how it would break my neck with ease.

I could already feel the cold eager waves that would rob me of my breath and take me to the bottom of the sea. I could already feel the cold around me and shivered uncontrollably. But then I felt two warm arms around me and a warm body pressed against mine. And when I felt that, I wasn't afraid anymore. I opened my eyes and looked at my surroundings. I felt the wind underneath me and felt like... like flying. Yes, this was the freedom Jim was talking about. It was an amazing feeling and I laughed along with the laugh of the person that was crazy enough to fall with me. 'Watch your head.' I heard Jim whisper in my ear and felt how one of his hands found my neck to keep it from breaking before we reached the surface of the water.

It was cold, very cold, but I could manage to come up and gasped for breath and that's the only thing that really mattered: I was still alive. 'How was that?' Jim asked, his hair was wet which looked cute on him. Actually', it had been pretty amazing and I was happy to add one experience to my life. And of course I was happy I still was alive.

'I told you I didn't want to jump!' I shouted but felt no anger towards Jim at all. We were still in the water when he put on a sad face. 'Oh no, now my baby's angry with me.' He said sadly. 'I only did it to make you overcome your fears!' He tried with a raised voice. I looked at him for some time and then I powerfully punched him in the face. 'Oh, I think I'm bleeding!' Jim said and held his fingers at his nose which was indeed bleeding. 'Why did you do that?!' He asked indignantly.

'Because I've overcome my fears.'

A/N

So that was it. I've come on this idea because I walked on the beach in Boulogne-sur-Mer (not to search hot Frenchmen but fossils ;-/  ) and there were great cliffs and I just wondered hat it would be like to jump off them. And fear is what I felt when I wanted to talk with French people. I'm just learing the language so it's pretty scary to talk to persons in french. But I did it! 

Veni, vidi, vici!

So, I hope you liked this little story, thank you all so much for reading! Please vote and comment and let me know what you're biggest fear is! Mine, actually, isn't heights but little insects like cockroaches and struff. Ugh. 

Catch you later!

-MS