Namjoon ♡ Apocalypse AU

Published: September 3, 2018
Rewritten: July 26, 2023

Word count: 3,034

DO NOT read or interact if you're under 14

Your throat was dry, your legs were aching painfully, and you were running out of ammo

"Over there!" Namjoon shouted.
You were quick to aim your gun and shoot the incoming zombie directly in the head, the now permanently dead corpse collapsing onto the ground.
"Nice shot."
"Thanks. Watch out!"
Namjoon spun around on his heel, pulling his knife out just in time to ram the blade into its skull. He withdrew the weapon and watched as the zombie fell to the pavement.
"There's too many Zs here. We need to go." He announced urgently.
You nodded in agreement. "I'm almost out of bullets anyway. It's best we retreat for now."
"Let's go, then."
You jogged behind Namjoon, hopping into the van you used for transportation. The two of you had it equipped with everything you'd need so survive an apocalypse: a stash of food for when you're on the road, tons of weapons, blankets for when you need a quick power nap, and a first aid kit. Not to mention, you and Namjoon decked out the whole vehicle by installing spikes in the front bumper, a sunroof for shooting, and replaced all the windows with bulletproof glass.

You sat on one of the gun crates in the back of the van, resting against the wall. The bottom of your feet were burning from being on them all day, your legs were throbbing, and you could feel your shirt sticking to you due to all the sweat and grime from the day.
"That was a rough group today." Namjoon commented.
"Yeah." You huffed out. "We aren't equipped to handle a hoard of Zs that big... not today, anyway."
"We'll try again tomorrow."

A few minutes later, Namjoon pulled up to your safe house, coming to a stop at the huge gate surrounding the perimeter of the home, the metal barrier requiring a passcode to get in.
Namjoon rolled down the window and pressed the series of numbers needed to open the gate. The small machine made quiet beeping sounds with each button he pressed, a clicking sound following after the correct code was entered, the gate swinging open in response. Namjoon drove through and made his way up the driveway to the car garage where he parked the vehicle.

"I'm starving. What do we have?" You inquired as soon as you stepped inside, scouring the cabinets which were stocked with canned goods. You and Namjoon had collected the food items over the last few months by looting abandoned grocery stores and seeing what you could find in vacant homes. Though there was enough provisions to last quite some time, you still kept your food consumption to a minimum in order to make your stock last.
"We've got soup. How about that?" Namjoon asked, recalling the many stacks of soup in the pantry.
"Sounds good."

You retrieved a can of soup from the pantry and started the gas stove, watching the blueish flames flicker to life. You poured the soup in a pot and set it on the stove eye so it could heat up. While you waited, a pair of arms slid around your waist, a smile making its way onto your lips. Namjoon rested his head on your shoulder, giving you a light squeeze.
"I'm all gross, Joon."
"It's the apocalypse, love. Everyone is all gross."
"I miss not being able to bathe regularly."
"Me too." He sighed.
A year and a half. That's how long it had been since this whole mess started. You missed when you were able to go outside without needing to be on high alert for zombies. You missed not living in constant fear, worrying if that day would be the day you would get bitten.
When things started going downhill, you had to learn pretty fast how to fend for yourself. Never in your life would you have imagined yourself wielding weapons like guns and knives the size of your forearm, but here you are. You had to learn pretty quickly how to use a gun, as it was your only way to survive.
The only positive thing about the zombie apocalypse was having Namjoon by your side the entire time. He made things much easier and brought you a sense of comfort during these traumatic times.
"If this apocalypse ever ends, we're going to have an amazing life together." Namjoon stated, pressing a few soft kisses to your neck, the action pulling you from your reverie.
"Is that so?"
"Mhm. We'll travel, explore new places, eat delicious food and... get married."
"Married?" You echoed.
"Yes. I want to marry you, Y/n."
"Are you proposing?"
"No. Not yet. It has to be perfect."
"Such a gentleman." You chuckled, allowing him to turn your body so you were facing him.