CHAPTER VII. corrupted mind

♡ || chapter 7. corrupted mind

Qui-Gon and the remainder of us were still roaming around. Qui-Gon spoke to Obi-Wan in the commlink while I kept eyeing the streets of Tatooine for this Sebulba. Jar Jar, Padme, and R2 waited until Qui-Gon said so. We couldn't bargain with Watto for credits since it wasn't worth anything out in Tatooine.

"Jewel, issa?" Jar Jar spoke to me, looking interested.

"Yes, Jar Jar?" I responded, laying eyes on his.

"What wassa you studying atta in the shop?"

"A part of whatever equipment from there. There was something wrong about it though... It seemed like I saw another connection to whatever may lead us to what I saw. I think I should talk to Qui-Gon."

Qui-Gon finished conversing with Obi-Wan as he alerted us to continue moving. Qui-Gon sought to see if there was anything worth valuable back at the ship but nothing other than a few supplies, the Queen's wardrobe, and a few other things.

That thought of whatever that creature was sure bothered me as I kept staring around, trying to find whoever was in the vision to match. The Echo Sense can make it more complicated even after viewing it.

"You seemed troubled, Jewel," Qui-Gon uttered. "Something you find back at the shop?"

"Yes... I did detect an interest in one of those parts I sensed. It showed me this creature affiliated with it. He seemed to be outsmarting those he faced," I narrated. "I'm worried about if this may go to extreme measures."

"When the time comes, young one, you'll seek the solution. Don't let it bother you now."

"Yes, of course."

Some other alien started shouting at Jar Jar, who had a frog that was hooked on a line. They probably wanted him to pay for it instead of stealing the food. He must have gotten drawn to the stall and figured he could sneak a frog with no one looking.

Jar Jar spat out the frog, which had landed in another creature's bowl, splashing it all on them. They got angry, making them leap out to Jar Jar and addressed him angrily to not bother him for such a thing as that.

That's when the young boy from earlier, Anakin Skywalker, broke it up and spoke to the creature. He had spoken to him in a different dialect and then Anakin said something that stuck out. 

Then it hit me.

Sebulba!

"Chess ko, Sebulba... Coo wolpa tooney rana," Anakin said, looking at the alien. 

[𝐂𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐟𝐮𝐥, 𝐒𝐞𝐛𝐮𝐥𝐛𝐚... 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐨𝐧𝐞'𝐬 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐝.]

He let go of Jar Jar after a brief moment, walking away in annoyance while Jar Jar got up and coughed with the strangle he encountered with Sebulba. Sebulba did get a few words in, saying that the next time they race, it will be the end of Anakin. He's lucky that he is a slave too.

"Hi! Your friend was about to be an orange goo pile. He picked a fight with the wrong person, a dangerous one called-" Anakin began as the others came nearby us.

"Sebulba," I finished Anakin's sentence.

He seemed surprised by how I knew his name, but he agreed and continued.

Jar Jar was panicking still with Padme and Anakin sharing a look upon each other again. They seemed to be quite interested in one another, but Padme had her emotions kept hidden well.

"Nosir, nosir," Jar Jar rambled. "Mesa hate crunchen. Dat's da last ting mesa wanten."

We exchanged a few words and proceeded to make our way to Anakin's home. I couldn't help but dwell on the potential contradictions that could jeopardize our efforts if we lost our focus.

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

Anakin had brought us all back introducing his mother, Shmi Skywalker. The sandstorm that had been forming outside was now howling through the sheltered home as all of us were at the table, eating soup Shmi generously made. Obi-Wan reached out and checked if we were in a safe location over the Comlink he had talked to with Qui-Gon.

He expressed his relief when we were unharmed and assured us that he would continue exploring alternative methods to fix the ship without making it worse.

"Have you ever seen a pod race?" Anakin spoke after the brief silence on the prior topic.

Padme shook her head while I learned they were on Malastare.

"I do," I answered. "They're really fast and dangerous to be a part of. Jedi really do get an advantage being a part of it."

"I'm the only one that can do it!" Anakin boastfully expressed as his mother gave him a worried expression. "I'm not bragging, mom! Watto even said he's never heard of a person doing so."

Jar Jar was making some weird snarl while eating his food, and it seemed to bother Qui-Gon as he kept his interest in the conversation. Qui-Gon eyed me when Jar Jar was about to do it again.

I grabbed his tongue and gave him a stern look to not act out. Jar Jar looked confused before I let his tongue go back while I kept my attention on the conversation. If only Obi-Wan were with us, it probably would be better.

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

Time flew by as Anakin was allowed to participate in the pod race that was brought up. Qui-Gon and Anakin had spoken to Watto to agree on valid terms. At first, it felt wrong to see Qui-Gon give up the ship very quickly, but I overheard that Anakin wouldn't be a slave here and he gets to come back with us.

The pod race Anakin was racing in was soon. He seemed very happy to be a part of something this interesting and can get a lot out of it. Although from my look, this wouldn't be so easy to obtain.

"Still having those haunting feelings, are you?" Qui-Gon asked me. 

While Anakin and his friends worked on the pod, I was close by. My attempt to improve my mood was unsuccessful. I dread it when I find myself overanalyzing everything.

"It feels... unusually stronger than what I could feel," I told him. "It feels like the race isn't going to go the way it's supposed to be."

"Have faith."

"I do, Master Qui-Gon, but it seems like there is something clouding my judgment."

"Could it simply be your own?"

I remained silent, my gaze fixed on the ground, trembling at the notion of my own actions overshadowing all that is positive.

"Let your mind guide you and not let any distress control you," Qui-Gon finalized his words before leaving the area.

Qui-Gon's words were put to knowledge, but I didn't know if I could be able to do such a thing. Of course, I'm overthinking it...

Nothing wasn't calm as it used to be, but maybe if Obi-Wan was here. But that isn't a good kind of source to think about especially if he isn't going to be around 24/7.

I still ought to discuss those moments between us though for sure between us.