CHAPTER XV. chase

♥︎ || chapter 15. chase

Padme was peacefully asleep, leaving Anakin, Obi-Wan, and me to stand guard outside the apartment. Anakin's behavior was certainly intriguing Obi-Wan, given how deeply connected he was to Padme. For a brief moment, it was evident that Anakin had a desire to enter the room where Padme rested, just to ensure her well-being.

That sparkling of love surely took him high over heels.

"You seem to have a genuine concern for her, don't you?" I asked Anakin, seeing his pacing tremble within him. Obi-Wan had just returned after he left momentarily for something, sensing his Padawan's emotions.

"But of course, Master Kell," he responds to the question, sounding as if I was baffled by his opinion. "I just don't understand why the camera is blocked out. It seems like she doesn't want us to watch her."

"Perhaps she programmed R2 to notify us in the event of an intruder's presence."

"It seems like there isn't just the intruder to worry about," Obi-Wan steps into the conversation. "There's many ways to kill a Senator."

"I'm not sure if you're aware that this is a way to catch the assassin," I reminded him. 

"Bait?!" the man questioned, a wave of shock coming to Obi. "You're using her as bait?"

"It was her idea," Anakin chimed in. "No harm will come. I can sense everything coming from her room. Trust me."

"This is a nonsense of a plan. And your senses aren't that attuned, young apprentice," Obi-Wan asserts to Anakin, folding his arms over his chest.

"And yours are, Master?"

"But of course!" These two enjoyed lightly arguing as if they were children all over again. Especially if it were small or big things to talk of.

Obi-Wan skillfully concealed his emotions from his Padawan, maintaining a composed facade. We still chose to keep our relationship hidden from everyone. Even if Anakin was the closest to our relationship, it still would be risky considering how stubborn he is. 

"You haven't slept well, haven't you Ani?" I changed the topic, glancing at Ani's expression.

"I don't sleep well anymore."

"Because of your mother?"

"I don't know why it is happening now. I haven't seen her since I was little," Anakin said. 

Anakin had a strong desire to cling to those he missed. It was extremely difficult for him to handle when he was younger, and now that he has matured, he still struggles to move on. But I can't judge him since it was his mother. I find myself times still wondering how my parents are doing.

"Dreams pass in time," Obi-Wan assured Anakin, throwing a nod at his Padawan.

"I'd rather dream of Padme," Anakin proceeded with his emotions yet again. "Being around her again is... intoxicating." 

Obi-Wan began to discuss the importance of maintaining control over his emotions. The two were arguing once more as I seized the opportunity to observe the apartment. It was quite surprising to see how much Anakin enjoyed commenting on Obi-Wan's counterarguments. Sort of like a rinse-and-repeat cycle, you know?

Out of nowhere, I detected a faint sound emanating from Padme's room. I gently quieted the two gentlemen without them even realizing it, with the peaceful silence enhancing the moment. My eyes loomed around in the dark toward where Padme was with Obi and Ani coming near to where I was.

"I sense it too," Obi-Wan noticed the disturbance.

The three of us hurried to see, as R2's screams grew louder once we entered. It appeared as though two Kouhuns were on the verge of attacking Padme when Anakin swiftly intervened and cut the creatures with his lightsaber.