CHAPTER XLVII. duchess

♢ || chapter 47. duchess

∞ ₒ ˚ 19 BBY ˚ ₒ ∞

Another year passing by already. Obi-Wan and I had absolutely been stronger collectively than before since the ceremony. We did have a segment of only us to settle together while the Council allowed ourselves to not return with any sudden changes in plans. It was nice to see that those first few weeks were nice to settle. 

Not long after, we had to return and compute on settling these matters like usual. Obi-Wan and I had been escorted to deal with a particular region search on what happened to our home planet not being in the archives. 

Turns out the faulty system had mistaken it for another planet and Obi and I were sent back under the impression that someone was planning an attack to our home. It still was nice to see that everything was operating like before, but I had not heard anything from my parents in so long.

"Master!" Anakin interrupted my thoughts with Obi and I returning back from the minor mistake.

"Hello there, Anakin," he replied. "Looks like Jocasta Nu was able to find the error."

"Seems like sometimes, the people here in the Temple aren't as bright as how we think they are."

Obi-Wan and I shared a look including us seeking what Anakin meant. 

"Nothing. Master Windu requests you two to come back with more to handle," Ani informed us. "They're awaiting you right now."

Obi and I groaned internally at the more responsibilities we had piled on us now. We knew though that the time spent all those months ago on the wedding were nice to reflect on, but duty calls.

Anakin brought us back inside the Council room, which everyone looked pleased by our presence back. 

Now people called me Master Kenobi for the first part, confusing Obi and I to look at whom the person was directing to.

Now, it would be Lady Kenobi. Still a Master rank, but separating the fact of me being a woman.

"Now, there are some new information that we have to notify you two on," Master Windu started. "First, since you two are now known to the general public of everyone on Coruscant and in the Jedi Temple, we are placing you two in same rooms."

Obi-Wan and I beamed with happiness to finally get ourselves a room. Those sleepovers made us feel like Padawans, but it was a nice feeling to continue the act for these 13 years now and counting.

Now, there would be no disturbances for endorsed measure.

"Next, we did want to see if the Force bond is still in place after all this time of marriage. Master Shaak Ti was intrigued by the idea, and we figure it would be best to test before anything else occurs."

My worry kicked in, sensing Obi-Wan didn't want to do this with how painful it is to deal with. I suppose we have to take the precautions that many had to tell us. 

Realistically, folks don't know how this works with the Temple not allowing anyone other to become like how Obi and I were settled on. 

"Which is why Anakin will take Jewel with him as Obi-Wan and Ahsoka partake another direction," Master Windu continued. "Safer than what can be planned heavily when it comes to using ships and clones for a place like this." 

Master Windu was serious about this. It did bother me since we just did arrive back. 

Obi-Wan and I agreed to this before leaving the room. 

Anakin and I left while Obi-Wan kept still by the entrance of the Council. His eyes did not lose sight of me with him speaking to me in thought still.

"Jewel..." I could hear Obi think to me.

"I'm right here..." I replied in thought. "Always."

Anakin and I got towards the other side of the Temple as Obi-Wan was still nearby the Council room, and then I felt the burns occur. 

My heart ached as Anakin asked if I was all right.

"Check the exact distance of where we are, Ahsoka!" Anakin spoke in his comlink.

He helped me up as Ahsoka replied that Obi never took one step from the Council area. She also said that this heart burn was closer than usual, not farther.

"What?" Anakin questioned. "I'm returning Jewel back, we need this informed immediately."

"Got it!"

Anakin helped me out as we headed back to the Council.

What a nice return back.

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

Obi-Wan and I were heading to where Master Yoda called for us. 

There was a transmission on Mandalore from the Duchess about a serious situation happening at her home. Darth Maul was now returning back from all this developments he has done on him  along with Savage Oppress helping him do all these changes.

Ki-Adi-Mundi and Master Yoda appeared deep in thought with Obi and I entering inside the room.

"You summoned us, Masters?" Obi-Wan requested.

Master Yoda seemed quiet as Mundi activated the transmission as it revealed to be the Duchess, in fact.

"This is a message for Obi-Wan Kenobi," the Duchess expressed with her breath flourishing with worry. "I've lost Mandalore. My people have been massacred, and Almec is now the prime minister. I can't explain everything now but Almec has the support of the crime families. Obi-Wan, I need your help. Jewel's too. Please..."

That's when some Mandalorians surrounded her and the transmission ended.

"Your thoughts on this, Master Kenobi," Master Yoda spoke.

I looked and saw Obi-Wan conflicted as he kept his hand towards his mouth. He knew he didn't have to push Satine away fully from how her behavior has been throughout this entire time. Obi-Wan knew she'd come around and be satisfied with how terms have embarked.

"Satine has been at odds with the Death Watch for years," Obi said. "And recording to a report from Padawan Tano, they're no longer in league with the Separatists. If there was a takeover on Mandalore, it was most likely an independent act caused by the Death Watch alone."

"There actually isn't much to do alone," I continued.

"What do you mean, love?"

"The Senate won't decide to help us on this kind of commission," I told him. "The Duchess did want Mandalore to be neutral, but..."

"You know what the Senate will decide. They will not send aid to a neutral system."

"At this time, nothing more we can do," Master Yoda spoke.

Obi-Wan seemed bothered by this a little as he looked at me with him knowing what we had to do.

We left with my mind seeing Obi's plan working in his head. 

"We're going to help the Duchess, aren't we?" I asked him.

"By help, you mean us two, yes," Obi-Wan said.

"Glad you still care for her at least a little."

"I made that promise with you only. Never anyone else. She is still my friend to see for, but nothing more, nothing less."

I held his hand as he held it back, squeezing it softly with him still acting the heroic man he was.

"We might have to borrow a ship from Anakin, you know?" I told him.

He sighed and nodded, having to understand that Anakin isn't quite the best on handling ship's care and mobility. 

We'll have to go among it and rescue the Duchess.