CHAPTER XII. change

♡ || chapter 12. change

The Sith had been knowledgeable of all our actions. With a swift and precise motion, he effortlessly countered all three of our attacks, his dual-handed saber meeting each of our blades with grace. I had even tried to make some attempts at the tricks Master Windu taught me to catch any enemy but it wasn't working.

Obi-Wan tried one move but the Sith managed to block it and push Obi off the ramps to the lower bridges below us in the Central Hangar. My fear set in as the Sith charged at me, almost throwing me off but I caught an opening to Force push him back. I had a good hold to not let my emotions throw me off since Obi-Wan was not that oblivious to make any harsh or irregular move.

Qui-Gon hurriedly pursued the Sith while I made my way to Obi-Wan to check if he had sustained any injuries. I hopped down to Obi's level and knelt to him, aiding in him sitting up and shaking his head.

"Are you okay?" I asked him, taking his hand and standing up.

"Yes, where's Master Qui-Gon?" Obi quickly looked at me and heard the noises further down from us. We shifted our focus to witness the ongoing duel between Master Qui-Gon and the Sith, their lightsabers locked in a fierce clash.

My eyes trailed up and saw Qui-Gon's green saber joining the Siths for many moments while they fled farther from where we were. 

"There!" I pointed. "Let's go."

I skillfully Force leaped up to the platform, with Obi-Wan following closely behind. We pursued the duo deeper into the chambers where the rays flickered on and off for a brief moment of time.

Once we all were inside the slots, the noise of the rays starting up caused all of us to stop before any damage took further on us by mistake. These rays could cut through about anything.

The Sith moves quickly back as the rays activate and Qui-Gon is right in front of him. Obi-Wan and I managed to be a few slots behind Qui-Gon while he knelt to meditate. The Sith paced back and forth with his anger coursing in his face.

Obi-Wan was impatient with the situation going on, and it made him tense up with his pacing copying the Sith's. My breathing was trying to calm down, but Obi-Wan's footsteps surrounding me were not helping.

As my hand came in contact with his, he stopped and placed his eyes on mine. He assumed a poised stance before finally relaxing and standing beside me. It would require some time for the rays to stop operating. Obi-Wan and I carefully coordinated our movements to seize the appropriate moment to approach the duo outside the chambers, ensuring perfect timing.

I immediately detected the end of the rays and moved forward. I began to run alongside Obi-Wan, who effortlessly picked up the pace, while Qui-Gon fearlessly charged at the Sith just as the rays threatened to activate once more.

Obi-Wan barely acknowledged the situation as I swiftly pulled him back, guiding us into the same slot where Qui-Gon was positioned the first time. The two of us breathed heavily with us watching in fear as the pair fought each other.

Qui-Gon managed to get the Sith in positions where he could be hit, but the Sith reflected the moves back onto Qui-Gon. My eyes darted back and forth at the two fighting, and I saw the Sith trying to attack in one stance repeatedly. I think he was making Qui-Gon tired to strike at the perfect angle, and I could see him continuously doing this.

That's when I saw the opening.

And my heart sank.

Qui-Gon was struck in the face, momentarily diverting his attention from the agony, only to have the Sith impale his lightsaber through his abdomen. I was taken aback by the sight of Qui-Gon's fall, while Obi-Wan's horrified screams filled the air as his master's attempt to defeat the Sith ended in failure.

After some time, the rays opened again and Obi-Wan charged straight at the Sith. His emotions were getting the best of him and ignoring the amount of anger shared in his movements. The Sith deflected Obi-Wan's hits, and I launched nearby to distract the Sith too, but he caught my strikes. 

I was smoothly pushed away by the powerful Sith Force, as he effortlessly flung objects in my vicinity. In response, I skillfully utilized my own Force push to create distance between myself and the objects. Unbeknownst to me, he launched a surprise attack from behind after one of the pieces. I skillfully blocked his attack, swiftly relieving myself of the pressure he was exerting on me, and quickly launching him away. Obi attempted to strike him, yet the Sith's overwhelming frustration and anger enabled him to skillfully deflect the blows.

The enemy almost knocked Obi-Wan off for a second, but I knew I couldn't let that distract me. There was an opening that I focused on the Sith, and he brought his attention only to Obi-Wan for that given moment.

I rose from the floor and quickly proceeded towards the Sith, observing his narrow escape from my skillful saber strikes. He seemed to disregard Obi-Wan at the moment, which presented an opportunity for me to divert his attention towards myself. 

"Obi, now's your chance!" I Force thought to him as I ducked the Sith's strikes and slid forward underneath him, Force pushing him away near where Obi-Wan was.

Obi-Wan got out from the hole and Force grabbed Qui-Gon's saber and struck the Sith in half. The Sith's dark eyes widened in shock as he fell down the energy pit to his death. His body split apart from the strike as I gazed down, exhausted and gasping for air from the struggle that Obi-Wan and I were successfully able to complete.

"Master! Master!" Obi-Wan rushed to his master, Qui-Gon gasping for breath and fighting to survive. I approached them as Obi continued to express concern for Qui-Gon's well-being.

"Obi-Wan... promise me, you will train the boy," Qui-Gon begged his Padawan.

Obi-Wan kept responding in sorrow and pleading Qui-Gon would be okay. I shifted next to Obi, holding my tears back as I looked in sorrow at the change in color of Master Qui-Gon's face. He wasn't going to die... no, he couldn't...

"Jewel," Qui-Gon managed to speak through his pain. "You must... keep an eye out on Obi-Wan. You two have a strong connection. I... sensed it from the beginning."

I laid my eyes on Obi with him still sobbing, clutching onto his Master and cradling him. 

"Train the boy... he is the Chosen one... You two were... meant..." He took his final breath as tears started to fall down my face. Qui-Gon remained motionless following his words, and unfortunately, he had passed away.

Obi-Wan was deeply affected by the loss. He gently laid his head against Qui-Gon's chest, tears streaming down his face as he mourned the loss of his master. His tears only boosted my sorrow as I sat there quietly, reminiscing about the memories I cherished with Qui-Gon.

And then the first spark of my first time meeting Qui-Gon drew in.

That moment back on Stewjon when Qui-Gon sensed something interesting in me sparked the start of something new for me. 'Lay among the Jedi and create an impact to those that could not match your skill,' he would tell me. His mind was stretched to any other Jedi, but he knew his ideas could work out in the end. 'A Jedi Master you will turn out to be. Far stronger than what you will think.'

The tears streaming down my face continued to flow as I hastily brushed them away, my gaze shifting towards Obi, who was still engulfed in sadness. My palm gently rested on Obi's, his grip tight on Qui-Gon's robe before he reached for mine.

"I'm so sorry, Obi-Wan," I shakily whispered to him, leaning to him. "I'm so sorry..."

He remained quiet from his spot, letting the dark turn of events still sink in for the both of us. He gently moved from where he was hugging Qui-Gon and wrapping one of his arms around me.

"I'm sorry..." I continued to repeat as I closed my eyes.

"I know..." he replied in a sad voice, his face resting on my hair. "I know..."

He placed a kiss on my head, his Force signature wrapping entirely around me, comforting me and mine around his. We stayed like that for who knows how long until we had to return back to the main hangar with Master Qui-Gon.

For the first time, I was unsure of my emotions at this moment. I simply wished that no more lives were lost throughout this collision. But I knew that it wasn't true with how much sacrifice was put to ensure this win for today.