Chapter 1

**edited**

I thought it was safe to assume Todoroki's speed to be at around 5.31 seconds in the dash because after all, he did get into UA on official recommendations.

Fun fact: The current 50-metre sprint world record for men stands at 5.56 seconds, the runner being Donovan Bailey from Canada, on the 9th of February 1996 while the woman's world record is 5.96, the runner being Irina Privalova from Russia, on the 9th of February 1995.

It was the first day at UA High School for Y/N L/N. Unfortunately, she was currently running late. "Screw that stupid alarm clock." She muttered, heaving her bag over her shoulder as she rushed into the school campus, all while adjusting her school uniform.

When she found the door to her classroom, she jostled it open in an ungraceful and unladylike manner, slamming the door shut before practically running over to the only empty seat left and plonking herself down. ''Oh thank god, I'm not late.'' She sighed in relief, fixing her ponytail which had come undone in the midst of her frenzy. As she surveyed her peers one by one, a particular boy stood out to her. 

He seemed to be glaring at her. Disapprovingly, at that. ''Does there seem to be a problem, peppermint hair?'' She questioned with a faux honeyed tone, referring to his red and white hair split down the middle. He clenched his jaw and turned away, but not before managing a stiff shake of his head. ''Oh well.'' The girl shrugged to herself, finishing with her hair and turning back to face the teacher who had introduced himself to be Shota Aizawa.

'Alright, let's get into it. Put these on and head outside.' He announced, handing everyone a new set of gym clothes before stomping off. ''Already?'' The silver-eyed girl groaned, not willing to leave her seat just yet. ''Quit complaining.'' The guy next to her spoke up again. Rolling her eyes, the brunette reluctantly dragged herself out of her chair and headed into the changing rooms sluggishly, violently yanking the curtains shut.

...

''Bakugo. You managed to get the most points in the entrance exam test. What was your farthest distance thrown with a softball when you were in junior high?'' The teacher, Aizawa announced. Y/N scanned each of her classmates curiously, then watched as a dirty-blond haired boy hesitated before speaking, a cocky tint to his tone. ''Sixty-seven metres, I think.''

''Right. Try doing it with your quirk.''

The blond settled himself into the centre of the circle. ''Anything goes, just stay in the circle. Go on, you're wasting our time.'' ''Die!'' The boy bellowed, launching his ball, which shot through the air like a bullet, several smoke rings billowing out behind the sphere as it went.

'Die?' Y/N wondered dimly. ''What an interesting battle cry.''

705.2, Aizawa held up the phone in his hand. Bakugo had thrown the ball a whopping 705 metres away.

''Hey, I wanna go! That looks like fun!'' A pink skinned girl piped up enthusiastically, bouncing around the field with a rather dopey smile. At this, someone in the crows scoffed. "We aren't here for fun, you know? Being a pro hero is never fun." They snapped incredulously.

"So this looks fun, huh?" Aizawa stated, agreeing with that particular person's point. ''You have three years here to become a hero. You think it's gonna be all games and play-time?'' He smiled sinisterly, as though plotting someone's death. "Idiots. Today you'll compete in eight physical tests to gauge your potential. Whoever comes in last has none, and will be expelled immediately." The class gasped.

''You. L/N, was it? You're next.'' Aizawa pointed at the said girl, who walked forward on rather shaky legs. 'You can do this. Remember what your father taught you. Convert water molecules in the air into energy for the ball to travel further.' She picked up the ball and took a deep breath. 'Right...' She muttered to herself, digging her heels into the dirt.

The ball was surrounded with a light aqua aura as it flew... and flew... and landed with a barely audible 'flump' sound, kicking up a cloud of dust at the same time. 745.3 metres. Y/N smiled to herself in relief and slumped off to stand among the crowd. 'How do you do that?' A boy, slightly shorter than the girl with unkempt green hair and eyes asked, his face shining with curiosity. 'It's part of my quirk. I can transform the molecular structure of water droplets in the air, into energy that I can transfer into things like the softball I just threw.' She replied matter-of-factly. 'That's so cool! My name is Izuku Midoriya, and you are?'

Y/N allowed the ghost of a smile to appear on her face. 'Thank you. The name's Y/N L/N.'

Midoriya began fanboying. 'Did you get in through official recommendations?' 'No. I got the recommendation letter but I decided to take the entrance exam like everyone else. I was originally tied with Bakugo, but somehow he found a robot that I didn't and as a result, I got ranked second.' Y/N ended the conversation by facing forward blatantly, making it clear that she didn't want to talk more.

Class 1A was then put into pairs for their next test, the 50-metre dash. ''L/N and Todoroki.'' Aizawa stated, looking up from his clipboard. ''Todoroki?'' The brunette hummed to herself in confusion as she glanced around for a person who looked like a Todoroki. To her disappointment, the dual haired boy she had bickered with earlier walked up to her.

''Oh, what sin have I committed to having to be paired up with you?'' Y/N complained, throwing her arms toward the sky. ''Come on!''  ''Stop your whining. You're fifteen, aren't you? Act your age.'' The boy commented curtly, earning yet another snarky reply from the girl next to him. "How does anyone put up with you, Peppermint?" She grumbled under her breath. "Party pooper." "Stop calling me that. Name's Shoto Todoroki." The boy jerked in irritation as his partner studied him with her sharp gaze.

"I suppose you want my name then?" She threw back, maintaining steady eye contact. "Do what you want. I don't have time for brats." He watched with slight amusement as a scowl bloomed on Y/N's face. "Shut your trap." She demanded haughtily, turning around and flouncing off, calling out her name as she left. They positioned themselves at the starting point, Y/N already decided on what to do. Her hands glowed faintly as she absorbed as much energy as possible beforehand.

The trigger was pulled. Both Y/N and Todoroki shot off like bullets, neck to neck. 

However, the girl felt warm liquid trickle down her nose. 'Crap... not now!' She slapped a hand over her nose hastily, but this action caused her to lose some momentum and end up slightly later than her peer, who had completed the dash with an impressive timing of 5.31. '5.45, not bad.' Todoroki held out a hand for Y/N to shake, though hesitantly.

"Thanks, I guess..." Y/N muttered, taking it and shaking it swiftly before letting go and shifting her attention to the trail of ice that Todoroki had left behind on the track, studying it curiously. "I should've realised this was going to happen." She sighed dejectedly, pinching the bridge of her nose delicately.

"By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what is your quirk?" The girl quizzed just as Todoroki turned to leave. The boy halted in his tracks, pausing for a moment before turning back around. It was then Y/N realised his eyes were of two different shades. One a stormy grey, the other a captivating shade of turquoise, both framed by long, thick lashes.

It was the first time the girl had actually gotten a good look at him, and Y/N soon realised that he actually was extremely good looking. "Half Cold Half Hot." Todoroki replied, jolting his classmate out of her trance. "You must be powerful then." She gave him a toothy grin. "Maybe you're not as bad as I thought."